Return to the Cutting Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Suggetions for tall things that won't flop after heavy rain?

Posted by Bud_WI z5 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 9, 05 at 18:48

Maybe this has been asked before but I couldn't find the answer doing a search.

Right now, after some heavy rain, my bloooming peonies are laying on the ground with the whole bush looking like a giant foot squashed them. Ditto for my poppies. My blooming irises are laying flat but the leaves are still upright. Bachelor buttons are sprawling. Even my columbine flopped. You get the picture.

What are some TALL things, with nice flowers, that are sturdy enough to not flop over when it rains?

I already have some flowering bushes and shrubs like rhodendums and lilacs, but I also want some tall cutting flowers in the garden. I have some "bushy" things that do stay standing after rain like Joe Pye Weed but they just don't have the nice flowers for cutting.

I don't want any more roses and I have plenty of varieties of lilies that do perform well in heavy rain, but if there anything else I can plant besides lilies that will hold up.

I want a perky flowering garden that doesn't always look like everybody is taking a nap.

Z5/WI/4mi from lake

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Suggetions for tall things that won't flop after heavy rain?

So far my perkiest standees are agastache honeybee white and its sibling that is blue, yarrow, cutting gold coreopsis, rudbeckias, thalictrum (if it gets enough water)...

o
RE: Suggetions for tall things that won't flop after heavy rain?

Some phlox are pretty sturdy in the stalk, but the flowers would probably take a beating in a pelting rain.
Crocosmia is about 3+ feet and slender leafed, light weight flower: that might stand up to a heavy rain. But you are right in weather disaster area and having relatives in the Midwest I know you've had your share of bad storms lately.

I can't think of any miracle plant that would thumb it's nose at 4 inches of rain in an hour and 80 mph winds. Sorry!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cutting Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here