Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
owlhollow

What does naturalizing mean?

owlhollow
15 years ago

I have seen plants for naturalizing in my catalogs. What does that mean? Example: daffodils and lilies.

owl

Comments (5)

• jenangelcat
    15 years ago

they will expand and get better every year unlike some bulbs that require replacing or dividing to stay nice.

• owlhollow
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Are all daffs naturallizing or are they different than the ones I have in my garden?
    owl

• duluthinbloomz4
    15 years ago

What kind do you have in your garden? According to the Daffodil Society of America, most - especially the old tried and true varieties... Ice Follies, King Alfred, Tete-a-Tete, Flower Record, Delibes, Unsurpassable, Barrett Browning, Scarlet Gem, Geranium, Cheerfulness, Peeping Tom, Mount Hood, Spellbinder, Carlton, and Viking to name just a few - will do well and multiply over the years.

People get wonderful varieties by mail order, but I picked up a mixed bag of cheapies at one of the big boxes last fall. They were lovely this spring and I have great hopes for them for years to come.

The major things for getting them to do well is make sure they get sun; plant them together or in drifts because they seem to like company; and don't be in a big hurry to cut down the foliage after blooming.

• owlhollow
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I just have plain old daffodils but what I wanted to know is if naturalizing plants were maybe smaller or something different than the bulbs not advertised as naturalizing. I am looking to buy a large quantity of daffodils and lilies. I want large flowers but have seen naturalizing bulbs at a very good price. I don't want to spend alot on something I will not be happy with because of size but I would also like to get the best deal on bulbs.
    owl

• flowers4u
    15 years ago

Owl -
    Most daffodils I've grown do naturalize - i.e. multiply - and after awhile, they do need divided (maybe after 6-10 years). Many of the new bulbs will be smaller flowers, but that doesn't mean the "clump" isn't pretty. It depends upon what you want them for. As a cutflower grower I want tall, big flowers, and cutting them does slow down the naturalization process. I do leave foliage in place and then cover it with weedcloth and put lilies in crates on top to reuse bed space!

Lilies - Asiatic and Oriental - do multiply too, I think the asiatic more quickly than the orientals, assuming you don't have gophers...which I do...lilies are candy for gophers! Lots of perennial plants will self sow if left uncut (daisies, poppies, scabiosa, knautia, campanula, foxglove, and many, many others (but, they may not grow as well in your zone as they do here in the NW).

Try VanEngelen and/or Colorblends for catolog choices!

Good luck,
    Wendy

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio