Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susiq_gw

Sowing/Transplanting in High Heat--Need Advice

susiq
18 years ago

As if keeping grasshoppers off my plants and birds away from freshly sown seed & dismay that the whiteflies are holding mega-conventions on WAY too many plants isn't enough..... LOL!

This week we'll probably see our first 100's; for sure we're well into the mid-high 90's and have only had .8 of rain in the last 2 months.

Still, I need to sow & transplant. Kim, Sherri, or anybody else in high heat situations--can you offer advice?

I'll be doing zinnias, suns, celosias, maybe some amaranths, & misc. other heat lovers, but "still", the packages all say, "germinate in the 60-80 degree temps for x days." Do you have air conditioned greenhouses, or keep the seedling trays in your AC homes, or just under a shade tree, or ?????

Have the Arnosky's had any good summer sowing tips lately in their articles? I keep forgetting to re-order a subscription.

I'm watering at least once a day; w/ the seedling babies I may have to water 2 or 3 times a day. Do-able, but interruptive to a busy schedule. I did start 2 trays today of mixed stuff, but am not sure where I'll put them. I may do some transplanting of older seedlings tonight or tomorrow morning when it's (somewhat) cooler.

Thanks,

Susi.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz