Return to the Cutting Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bugs in your Cut Flowers?

Posted by kneecop 7 Long Island (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 18, 08 at 19:48

Though I'm not selling them, I have a pretty extensive year round supply of flowering plants and shrubs. We of course cut them and take them in for our own arrangements, but we just can't figure out what to do about the bugs. How do you get rid of them in your cut flowers? I'd love to just refrigerate them, but don't have a spare fridge for this! We try to wash them, but we either wind up ruining the flowers or we don't get all the critters. Some of the worst ones to deal with & the bugs -
Peony - ants
Hydrangea - this year, Predatory Running Mites
Dahlia
Oriental lily
Daisies
Lilac
Butterfly Bush
Cherry Blossoms - mealy bugs, some other weird black things

The only ones we had no bugs on were Hyacinth, Forsythia and Daffodils because there are no bugs out that time of year!

So, how do you all get rid of the bugs?!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bugs in your Cut Flowers?

• Posted by pudge 2/3 Sask (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 20, 08 at 0:37

I use a large tub of water, hold a bunch of flowers by the bottom stems and swish them heads down into the water. This works very well with peonies, lilies and sunflowers.

o
RE: Bugs in your Cut Flowers?

Thanks pudge! I will give that a shot. So the idea is to sort of drown them or hope they float to the top? Sounds like a good plan...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cutting Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here