Return to the Cutting Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
canterbury bells

Posted by Debbie725 New York State (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 14, 12 at 21:18

I bought a canterbury bells plant at our local Lowes Store for my sister 2-3 weeks ago. It was a beautiful purple! Still in the pot it was set out on the deck & brought in during windy weather. My mother just called & told me that all the flowers had died off & so she cut it back to the dirt. Will this plant grow & bloom again or is it dead? Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: canterbury bells

I doubt if your plant will grow again. Canterbury bells are prolific self-seeders. They typically drop seed in the summer after the blooms form seed pods, bloom the following spring, and then die.

If you get another plant, make sure nobody cuts the bloom stalk off before the seed matures.

o

I cut my canterbury bells back every year and get a second flush of blooms, just smaller.

I cut them back all the way to the rosette.

o

Well, doesn't it depend on what kind of campanula it is? I have some that are perennial. Or, at least, the same plants come back for me every year, in the exact same spot. I think they are persicifola.

What do you mean by "to the dirt"? Were any leaves at all left? Is the basal rosette left? If yours are annuals, if there is something left to work with you might get regrowth and another flush of blooms.

Do you have a tag still?

Dee

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cutting Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here