Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
prairiegirlz5

Cutting Garden for Part Shade

prairiegirlz5
13 years ago

Hi all, please tell me what I can grow in a cutting garden that only gets part shade. I know most of the old stand-bys are full sun, are there any that will bloom in part shade? I already have lilies, dianthus, salvia and pansies. Thanks!

Comments (6)

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    13 years ago

Prairiegirl, how "part" is your part shade? I've noticed over the last two years that the large cutting garden I put in is in more shade than I thought it would be. I've actually been trying to watch it this year, in between coming and leaving the house, to see exactly how much sun it gets, and I'd have to say that one end of it gets no more than four hours, much to my dismay.

However, I've also found that annual rudbeckias do well there. They grow, bloom, reseed, etc. and do fairly well. It may be that if I had them in full sun they'd do ten times better, but in this spot they get enough sun apparently to give me enough blooms to cut for lots of bouquets.

I've also had some chinese asters reseed themselves in part shade and they've grown and bloomed fairly well. Hydrangeas also do well for me, as does phlox.

How about foxgloves? Columbines? Astilbe, heucheras, heucherellas, and tiarellas? I've never used these myself in bouquets (yet) but they do grow well in part shade.

Good luck!
    :)
    Dee

• prairiegirlz5
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Dee! There is already columbine, astilbe, hosta, heuchera, etc. Also phlox and hydrangea, forgot about foxglove! Do these need to be replanted every year?

Thanks for the heads up on the annual rudbeckias, I have only tried perennials, they bloom okay in sun, not sure about shade.

Before now, I had never looked at Chinese asters. They look a lot like mums. Do they need to be pinched? Stokes aster is another aster I want to try.

I was going to add fall flowers with perennial asters, anemone and ligularia. I've seen goldenrod bloom in part shade.

(At least a few hours of sun, the rest dappled high shade)??

What blooms in summer? Got any more suggestions? :^)

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    13 years ago

Oh yeah, perennial asters should do fairly well in part shade, as should mums. I think full sun would be ideal, but I have very few spots of full sun, so I try lots of things in part sun/shade, and my asters and mums do well there.

Foxgloves... well, if you are cutting off the blooms, you may want to sow some each year. Otherwise, let a few go to seed and you should have a steady supply. However, they don't bloom first year (for the most part) so you will have to sow them for the first two years to get a patch going. However, I have sown some first-year bloomers. Off the top of my head I think it was the Camelot series, Foxy, and a white one (digitalis alba).

Perennial foxgloves (d. grandiflora) do very well in my FULL shade. They are not as big or showy as biennial foxglves, but they are very long bloomers and have a very nice (IMO) soft yellow bloom. I'm not sure how well they do in the vase, though. I know I have occasionally cut them, but can't remember how long they last.

I LOVE chinese asters. Very beautiful, elegant flowers. (Unfortunately my success rate in sowing them goes down each year - can't quite figure out why; they were so easy my first year, lol!) Anyway, I have never pinched mine. They do have a rather short bloom window (late August, I think) but supposedly you can succession-sow them. I've never tried that but plan on it this year. I do try to put them in as much sun as I can, but like I said I have had some reseed in fairly shady spots and they grow and bloom, perhaps just a bit shorter.

And yes, goldenrod will bloom too in part shade - forgot about that one! I have a friend who has a VERY wet garden (standing water in some parts) and the native goldenrod does very well there, even in half-day shade. So perhaps the key to them is to make sure they are well watered.

:)
    Dee

• prairiegirlz5
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks again Dee~I will be saving your info. on the foxgloves, they can be so confusing. lol

I've been racking my brain for ideas; this is for a client, not myself. Although, I have quite a a few shady spots, so I can use help too!

Someone else suggested nicotiana, not sure if they make good cut flowers? Are torenia and browallia too short?

• l_james
    13 years ago

I have some perinnial ageratums that do well in partial shade. The cultivar "Cori" is the tallest. I used to grow the annual ageritums but the perinnial one are very easy and they are very hardy

• prairiegirlz5
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks James! I will add it to the list.

I am sitting here enjoying my bee balm (Monarda), I can't believe I didn't think of it, it has fragrant foliage and looong stems.