Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
steve22802

Why is my Dianthus so short?

steve22802
12 years ago

I have a nice healthy bed of about 80 Dianthus 'Bouquet Rose' plants but they are now starting to bloom and are only around 12-13 inches tall. This variety is suppose to reach 18-24 inches. Does anyone have any ideas about why my plants are so short? We did have several weeks of hot dry weather, perhaps that triggered early blooming. Or maybe they need some shading in my climate? Perhaps they would stretch more if I planted them in part shade rather than full sun.

- Steve

Comments (7)

• bfff_tx
    12 years ago

Steve
    These guys like full sun and the Bouquet series should be taller than you say. May I ask what date you transplanted them.?
    Cheers - Kim - BFFF

• steve22802
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Kim,

I started the seeds indoors on March 9th and then transplanted them outdoors on April 19th. Looking back at those dates I'm thinking that I should have started them earlier and transplanted at about the same time or maybe a little earlier. Your zone is similar to mine (a little warmer), what are your typical seed starting and transplant dates?

- Steve

• steve22802
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I have another question on Dianthus while we're on the topic. The 'Bouquet Rose' Dianthus I'm growing now is a special variety that doesn't require any vernalization, but I'm thinking of trying some other varieties next season that do require some chill time. When would be the time to plant these? In September perhaps or should I direct sow them earlier?

• trovesoftrilliums
    12 years ago

In zone 5 last year I started dianthus early summer and transplanted outside early fall. They did very well but are just about done flowering here. I do have some in an area of afternoon sun. They did ok there, but are leaning a little bit.

• bfff_tx
    12 years ago

Steve
    According to my records I have transplanted the Bouquet or Amazon Neon series out anywhere from late Dec to mid Feb. They have taken temps in the mid 20's and normally start blooming mid April for me with at least 18" stems. The Bouquet series if left for a 2nd year of flowering is even better. This year's plantings are still churning out flowers.

For those requiring chilling or that are a biennial, plant out in your fall, early Sept sounds good, let them get established prior to onset of winter, protect as required. I'd try plugs rather than direct seeding, but that's me.
    Cheers - Kim - BFFF

• steve22802
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Kim, that's helpful information. I think I need to give them an earlier start than I did this year. I will also try to overwinter my Bouquet Rose plants and hopefully they will be taller next year. It does look like I'm going to have some longer side shoots to use, perhaps my partial shading is helping them stretch a bit.

• steve22802
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I just wanted to report that my Dianthus Bouquet Rose now has side shoots that are around 18 inches. This is a much more usable length than 12 inches. I don't know if the shade is helping them stretch or if they just needed a little more growth time. Here is a picture:

{{gwi:624851}}

They are a nice strong color similar to Lychnis coronaria but not quite as intense.

Sponsored