Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susiq_gw

Rain, Finally!

susiq
18 years ago

Not to gloat, but today was WONDERFUL!

Overnight last Monday (the 4th) we got what I thought was a pretty decent rain, late in the overnight, for a good long while. My across the street neighbor said his rain guage only showed .10 to .5 for the whole weekend. I've been meaning to tell him it rained more at my house than his.

Anyway, another long hot week ensued.

Last night, the forecast for the WEEK was a 20% chance of rain--one of THOSE go-nowhere forecasts. This morning, again, "Another hot dry day in N. Texas". Shortly after noon, we looked out, and there was RAIN! Heavy rain, for quite a while. Then it tapered off, then it came back again!!!! I called my husband FIVE times to see if we were getting rain at home, five miles east. All he said was a few sprinkles. I was devastated. We had buckets and sheets of rain in town at work. I finally called a neighbor and she told me that yes, we had had some decent showers off and on all afternoon. Then hubby finally called back, said we WERE having rain.

I'm SO Excited! It hasn't rained steady like this in AGES! The most we've gotten is a few minutes/seconds here and there. I'm guessing it rained pretty solidly (sometimes heavy, sometimes light, but still raining) for about four hours! HOORAY!!!!! Our area generally got at least an inch, maybe more.

We're still behind by 8-12 inches for the year. But, we're supposed to get more "scattered showers" off and on the rest of the week, some of which might be Dennis remnants, and some of which might actually occur HERE!

The locals don't give us much time to look at the rest of the nation on rhe nightly forecasts, and I forget to watch the weather channel, but it looked like you guys up in Iowa, Illinois & region might be getting some rain, too. I hope so! I know from the Annuals thread how many of you are desparate for rain, too.

Alas, tomorrow's temps are going to be in the high 90's, maybe 100+, and w/ HIGH humidity. That won't be fun, but at least we got rain!

Saying praises for here and prayers for rain for the rest of you!

Susi

Comments (7)

• goshawker
    18 years ago

Whoooooo, whoooooo!!!!!! Good for you!!! I have to go do my rain dance now and see if I can suck it up north.

Congratualtions,

Steve

• Fundybayfarm
    18 years ago

Congradulations on your drenching. I know that feeling when it's day after day of sun and heat. One summer here we didn't need to mow our lawns after the 1st of July, and after the hay was cut, it looked like someone burned our field. It was actually black in parts. The lawn was brown, and no one could go into the woods for fear of forest fires. I hope you continue to get rain, and eveyone else out there that needs it so desperately gets some as well.
    Cheryl

• bfff_tx
    18 years ago

SusiQ
    Ain't it grand! We're now getting those afternoon thunder showers - after six weeks with no rain - that we normally get in May and June which were non-existant. Bummer is that the grass is growing again and I have to mow weekly.
    Still need to irrigate every morning, all those plants drink alot of water during these 100 degree temps but at least I don't have to water anything else now that it's raining.
    Yee-ha!!!!
    Cheers
    Kim @ Billabong Fresh Flower Farm -

• susiq
    Original Author
    18 years ago

We got a thirty second thundershower this afternoon. I swear! I was outside at the nursery, deadheading something, when it started to rain. I started to pack up the plants, take them inside to work, and then it stopped! I hardly got wet at all, and I still had to water some plants late in the afternoon.

Across the street at the beauty shop the lady said the rain they got was quite a lot, and there were still puddles at 5:30. Go figure!

More of the same for the rest of the week, hope we get some showers that last longer than :30!

The "official" rain total for yesterday's storms was .49 of an inch--we're still in that 10=12 inch deficit. How can it rain hard for 4 + hours and the grand total is only half an inch? Dang!

Rainy thoughts for everyone who needs them!

Susi.

• Miss EFF
    18 years ago

I got a tenth of an inch last night so since May 10-- we have hit the whopping total of 1/2"!!! We are now down 12" for the year and in the midwest --this ain't normal!!!!

But my wipers did get some practice --- I was afraid they were rusting away! And the rain did feel wonderful! But the road is dusty again already!

So back to hauling water -- new well will be put in after Labot Day so all may be done for by then. Our irrigation system catches and stores rain water ---- no rain, no water. I think I need a back up --- but this is the driest year on record in theis area.

So do I take my losses and shut up shop for the year? Or do I struggle with keeping things alive in hopes that we get rain? I'll listen to your thoughts.

Cathy

• Araillia
    18 years ago

Susi,
    I was so disappointed yesterday because we didn't get any of the rain. But alas, today it was our turn, and rain it did! The rain gage measured 2.2 inches and the forecast is for more scattered showers to pop up over the next few days! I hope they scatter on over this way again.

Ara

• sharonsgarden
    18 years ago

I hate to say that something good came out of a hurricane, but it did for us in the form of rain. We are way off our rainfall for this time of year. And when it has rained in has been very spotty in what areas receive it.

So, we also are very thankful to see some rain. There is nothing like a nice shower for the plants.

Sharon

Sponsored