Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crowspice

The Lighter side of being a cut-flower grower

crowspice
18 years ago

We have all had plenty to be miserable about in this cut-flower season.

But there are a few lighter moments along the way as well - things which make us laugh or touch our hearts or make us

appreciate the power of flowers to make a difference in someone's day - even our own! At last Saturday's market, in a Chicago suburb, a merry crowd of women had gathered around in my booth. They were chatting and having a good time selecting zinnias from about 8 buckets I had set out. Suddenly, out of the blue, came the cry of a little girl I could not even see. Caught up in the moment she joyfully exclaimed, "Happy Monday!" It was like verbal flower-petal confetti!

Anybody else have a recent happy tale, as a cut-flower grower, to share?

Comments (8)

• crowspice
    Original Author
    18 years ago

All righty then! I guess nobody has any sweet, humorous,
    outlandish or silly market or garden stories to share!
    I was in need of some laugh endorphins...... I will just go watch some kitties play!

• Noni Morrison
    18 years ago

Sorry, I have fallen and I can't get up.

• susiq
    18 years ago

Crowspice--

Well, it's a little silly thing, happened tonight. There I was, watering my TINY, straggly, very few suns, and I looked down at a couple and cursed. Some rabbit or grasshopper had gotten to at least 2 or 3 of them. Dang! I don't have that many!

I looked closer and suddenly remembered! These being my blooming-on-too-short-of-a-stem-"miniature"- Pro Cuts, THESE "eaten" ones were the ones I CUT the other day for a weekly bouquet!

Oh We-ellllll!

I did apologize, sorta, to the unseen rabbits and grasshoppers. This time!

Susi

• Jeanne_in_Idaho
    18 years ago

I appreciate the two stories on here. They both made me smile. Great idea for a thread! However, I'm too darn tired to recognize humor that doesn't hit me in the face right now. I'll be better in September, I promise.

Jeanne

• flowers4u
    18 years ago

Me too... :)

Wendy

• Patty_WI
    18 years ago

More of a gardening funny...

I grow all sorts of vegetables. Red, Yellow, Black, Orange,green tomatoes; green, white, purple, yellow cauliflower; pink, white, huge, etc radishes.

I was tired and was asked to bring a veggie platter to a dinner our family was invited to. I asked my son to pick some radishes while I picked peppers. "Where are they?" he asked. "In the bed with the green spikes" I said. (meaning the bed with the green posts that I used for support netting on my flowers) "Ok" he said.

I got busy picking the peppers. Here he comes back with a couple of lily stems with the large bulb pulled up in his hand all amazed at this radish. I told him that I planted some radishes in the lily bed after they were done flowering and that what he had in his hand was a flower bulb. All he said was "Oh, You told me to pick the green spikes and I just thought it was another of your weird vegetables."

Made me laugh!

• paveggie
    18 years ago

Not funny, but fun. A couple weeks ago, some folks came to my stand carrying a plastic crate of flowers (mostly pretty glads) from a fellow vendor. It seems there was to be a wedding and these folks "just happened" to come by the market that morning. Well, the end result was that they bought one of my larger bouquets and six smaller ones and a couple boxes of veggies. We packed them up in a carrier I could spare.

It just so happened that a local TV station was recording in the market that day for National Farm Market Week. One of the shots on air that night was of these folks carrying all those flowers out through the market crowd. What great fun.

Also, the sale helped made the difference between a good day and a very good day!

• bryan_ut
    18 years ago

Not humorous, but fun. We decided today to give out the last 4 buckets of flowers for free to the kids that were there for Zuccini day. By 10:30 we where giving out the last 4 buckets (2 pink statice, 1 sun flower and 1 blue statice). It put some smiles on and helped us finish early enough to do my favorite thing. Walk the market and talk to the other vendors.

Bryan

Sponsored