Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
emxry

New to selling cut flowers and need advice please

emxry
18 years ago

I am new to selling cut flowers at markets and need any advice you can give me!

What's the best tip you have?

Let's start a thread and thank you so much for your advice!

Catherine

Comments (6)

• purplepinkpolka
    18 years ago

No reason to reinvent the wheel every time, esp. at this busy time of the year for all the serious flower farmers (of which I am not one) This forum is a wealth of information already. Go back and read all the threads first, then ask specific questions if you have any.

• flowerfarmer
    18 years ago

Tips for the day:

1. Get some rest.

2. Always be aware of your competition; but never fear competition.

3. Don't second guess yourself -- never make decisions on two hours sleep.

4. Take only the very best flowers to market -- you'll get a reputation for high quality. It's always easier to get a new customer than win back a customer who has had a bad experience with your flowers.

• Jeanne_in_Idaho
    18 years ago

Read "The Flower Farmer" by Lynn Byczynski. There are other good flowers-for-sale books but hers is a good start.

Jeanne

• sherrym
    18 years ago

1. Start small - there is so much to learn! I am in my second year, and still feel overwhelmed.

2. Per Dave Ramsey - CASH ONLY! This goes hand in hand with starting small. Don't overspend until you know what you are doing.

3. Read this forum every day. Somebody always mentions an item than is bedeviling you!

4. Ditto on the books. I especially appreciate the Alan Armatage "Specialty Cut Flowers".

5. Go to the farmer's market and speak with the other vendors. ANY other vendor. Farmers are friendly folk and can give you a wealth of information in layman's terms. They can also teach/show you how to sell, display, and create good will.

6. Enjoy yourself. If it gets to be too much like work, it isn't fun anymore. The beauty of the flowers (I'm growing dahlias for the first time this year) will take your breath away.

7. I see flowers as God's jewelry. Treat them with the respect they deserve.

8. Don't get discouraged when the other vendor(s) does so much more business than you do! They've been at it for a few more years, have an established customer base, and know, from experience, what to grow, when to cut, how to present, etc.

9. Keep at it no matter what!

1. Take notes from the beginning. Note what does well, what doesn't; what germinates; when things bloom (this one is very important); when the rain comes (and doesn't); the effects of different fertilizers; how much you sell per week; what sells the best. Basically: anything that can help you plan for next year.

And, I could go on, and on, but I'll let the more experienced folks lead you down the right path....I am still learning.

Sassy Stems

• buckster
    18 years ago

Howdy Cathrine,

I mainly sell cherries at a u pick but I do sell flowers also.

My advice is sell what u love. I love flowers with fragrance. It is so easy for me to sell em because people can tell I stand behind my flowers because I dig em.

All the answers above are too true.

Also go to markets look around, visit farms ask questions...alot. Find things that live and will work in ur area, don't reinvent the wheel.

Good luck,

Tim

• alan-in-calhoun-il
    15 years ago

Start small, be there every week, make eye contact and be friendly, take your kids with you. I sell peaches,tomatoesand apples at my market and my kids are worth $50 each if they go with me. I started by taking 10 bu of peaches and this year at the peak of the season I sold 42 bu in one day. I may never hit that again but at least I hit it once. The flower lady just kills them at my market. You can do it to.

Sponsored