Return to the Cutting Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Penstemon for cuts?

Posted by CRDahlia z6bWA (larryteresa@msn.com) on
Fri, Jul 22, 05 at 7:58

I'm wondering how many of you use Pestemon in your bouquets? I just bought one that I think is called "Wine kissed" or something like that. It is a beautiful burgundy with a white throat. I already have a pink one like that. I've got a few others, but their flowers are pretty insignificant. I'd like to grow more and wonder where seeds or plugs can be found for ones that would be good for cutting.

Thanks,

Teresa

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Penstemon for cuts?

Teresa, I was just threatening to yank my only remaining penstemon out, once and for all. I can't grow them to produce anything even remotely appealing. They flop, the stems curve, the flowers are insignificant to me.

I must be doing something wrong: soil too rich or what have you, but it is not a plant I would work hard to keep. I do know others adore them, not necessarily for cutting.

o

PENSTEMONS ARE A MYSTERY TO ME. I have two that have produced hundreds of large spikes in the past. So far this year I have gotten about 2 mediocre ones. It tends to grow huge with many spikes then when you divide it it sulks and takes ? years to recover. I would suggest finding some thrivng ones in gallons in a nursery and then leaving them to establish themselves this year. Hopefully they will survive and you will have lots of cutting flowers next year plus a plant you can divide by season's end. I w ould go with the large named cultivers...Blackbird is one. Mother of pearl poops along here but I find it's pastels hard to show off. I have some kind of a native red one that is prodigious and always in bloom and never touch it except to pick.

o

Haven't had wildly good success with mine ('Husker'). In part it was the timing of bloom - it was gone before other things I need for market were ready. Was OK for home use. Don't have room at the moment to try other varieties, but would like to do so.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cutting Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here