Return to the Cutting Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
deciphering the USDA ornamental report

Posted by marthacr z5 Me (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 3, 06 at 9:26

I am looking at the USDA Ornamental price report to get an idea of how to price my flowers. Many are only priced in bunches. How can I find out how many to a bunch? Some DO say 5s or 10s but is this the # of stems or a quality rating?

For instance:
<< bunched 5s California Hybrid long 8.50-10.00 mostly 8.50-9.00 EC Hybrid long 12.00 bunched 10s CA Belladonna long 8.50-10.00 mostly 9.00-9.50 med 6.50-8.00 mostly 7.00-8.00 Hybrid short 10.00 Volkerfrieden long 10.00-11.00 per stem EC Volkerfrieden long 1.15 IS Hybrid long 2.50-2.75 mostly 2.75 NL Hybrid long 2.75 >>

so is that 5 stems of CA hybrids etc but 10 stems of California Belladonna bring the same price, yet the Volkerfrieden (?) type bring $10-11 per stem?

Any help would be appreciated
Martha

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: deciphering the USDA ornamental report

Hi Martha..
I believe there are three categories in this report, so 10 individual stems of Volkerfrieden from Ecuador would be $11.50 but a bunch of 10 from California would be 10.00-11.00

Bunched 5s
CA (California)Hybrid long 8.50-10.00
EC (Ecuador)Hybrid long 12.00

Bunched 10s
CA (California)Belladonna long 8.50-10.00
CA (California)Belladonna med 6.50-8.00
CA (California)Hybrid short 10.00
CA (California)Volkerfrieden long 10.00-11.00

Per stem
EC (Ecuador)Volkerfrieden long 1.15
IS (Israel)Hybrid long 2.50-2.75
NL (Netherlands)Hybrid long 2.75

o

Jannel,
Can you translate "CB" and "PE" for me? Thanks.
Glenn

o

Hi, Glenn,
CB= Columbia and PE= Peru
They dont make it easy to find , but on Pages 23 and 24 of the Fruit and Vegetable Market News Users Guide is a list the STATE AND COUNTRY ABBREVIATIONS http://www.ams.usda.gov/fv/pdfpubs/mnuserguide.pdf .. (You need adobe acrobat reader)
Note: The Fruit and Vegetable Market News Service is in the process of revising its two-letter country abbreviations in order to conform with The International Standards Organization (ISO) abbreviations.
Jannel

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cutting Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here