Return to the Cutting Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Forcing Dahlias

Posted by all_bout_flowers z8, nw or (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 24, 08 at 9:32

I am struggling to get my dahias past 12" high. Our rainy cold spring put them extremely behind I should be getting several bucket fulls by now. I have over 200 planted, does anyone know if you can do anything to get them growing sooner? Can you use hot caps in the spring if you are growing in a field? For now since it's July can you fertilize them with anything to boost their growth, they do get regular water.
Thanks,
Kathy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Forcing Dahlias

I used Jobe's tomato spikes on mine as someone one the dahlia forum suggested. You could pot the tubers up in the spring to give them a headstart but with 200 plant that would take up a lot of space.

You could try reposting this on the dahlia forum for suggestions.
Hope this helps.
-Katy

o

Did the tomato spikes work?
Kathy

o

This is my first time using them, but I have blooms earlier this year than I ever have before. I have quite a few blooming or with big buds and I didn't start any early this year. So in short I would say yes. Some people on the dahlia forum swear by them but others say it turns the tubers to mush over the winter.
-Katy

o

Kathy -
I think everything is behind here in north central Oregon. But, hopefully Trish can answer! I just cut my first 5 stems of dahlias this weekend. I have about 600 planted!
Just keep hoping for warm nights! The days have been ok, but the cool nights really put a damper on everything, including my mood!
Good luck,
Wendy

o

Wendy and Katy,
Thank you for replying. Wendy- I'm sorry you're struggling to. I'm hoping for a nice fall, but it is harder to sell bouquets after kids go back to school and vacations end.
Good Luck and let me know if things pick up,
Kathy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cutting Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here