Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
coraloski

new to lilys

coraloski
12 years ago

hello

i know everybody is really busy right now, i sure am. I would love some help if you have a bit of time on figuring out lilies. We are new farmers in our village and the only flower farm(very exciting). at first i thought i didn't want to grow lilies because they were a commodity crop and i thought i could not make money, the bulbs seem so expensive. everyone in town is requesting them though and they are gorgeous!. problem-i don't know much at all about bulb farming so i apologize for all the beginner questions. My plan is to sell them at my farmers markets and my florists have been asking too, they are very interested since i am certified organic.

So here they are: How much should you be paying for wholesale bulbs? How many flowers does each bulb produce for both asiatics and orientals? Do you leave them in the field and if so do you leave space for them to multiply? are the blooms just as nice the next year? ? anybody point me in the direction for good info on growing in crates?? really any info would be appreciated!!! thank you so much

Comments (7)

• bfff_tx
    12 years ago

Contact Ednie Flower bulb Inc. 1 800 24-EDNIE or www.ednieflowerbulb.com
    Request their catalogue. For each of the Lily types and varieties they will give info on bud count, height, weeks to force, etc. The catalogue also has some fairly detailed info on growing instructions.
    Dependent upon the size of the bulb, a crate of 12/14 = 400
    whereas a crate of 14/16 = 300 bulbs. 16/18 = 200. I think Ednie does quantities of 25 but of course the more you buy of one kind the cheaper they are. Orientals vary between 45 cents to $1.20 each depending on size & variety. Asiatics vary between 25 cents to 75 cents a piece depending on size & variety. LA's vary between 30cents to 80cents depending on size and variety.
    You could also try BulbMark in NC and Fred C Gloeckners has a bulb supply out of Oregon.

I grow mine in crates. I normally get an order in for late Summer / Autumn of a couple of different types with different crop times and stagger them by holding them in a walk in cooler- this gives me a constant supply for x amount of weeks depending on how many cases I get. I then leave them to over winter and some of them produce again for me in the Spring. Then the cycle starts all over again. I have Gophers so cannot grow them in the ground.
    Hope I've shed a little light for you.
    Cheers - Kim - BFFF

• trovesoftrilliums
    12 years ago

So glad to read this info, as I have similar questions.

Kim--do you grow yours in a greenhouse,hoop house or outside?

I am wondering if I can get lilies a little bit earlier by growing them in a hoophouse--no greenhouse here.

• bfff_tx
    12 years ago

Been growing outside. Last fall I covered them with shade cloth and they really appreciated the break from the Tx heat. Now that I have a g/hse I'm going to try winter growing for a crop early to mid March.
    Cheers Kim - BFFF

• gardengirl77
    12 years ago

I raise my lilies out in the field. I planted 4000 lily bulbs this spring. I buy my lily bulbs from ADR. I have always received big beautiful bulbs from them at good prices....and their shipping costs are lower than other companies. You can check out their web site at adrbulbs.com

• trovesoftrilliums
    12 years ago

Hi Gardengirl,
    Do you stagger planting dates? Any info on the earliest you plant in field in zone 5 and the earliest harvest dates greatly appreciated. :)

• gardengirl77
    12 years ago

I have only been raising cut flowers for three years now so I have a lot of learning yet! I planted the first lilies in the beginning and end of March....and then planted more at the end of May. We had a very cold spring so nothing took off very fast. I stared cutting my first lilies the first part of July and have been cutting every week since then. I will be done cutting them this week. As soon as I get a walk in cooler and hoop house....I want to stagger my planting like BFFF does. :) If you would like to see some pictures of my lilies check out my blog at georgiasgardens.blogspot.com

• trovesoftrilliums
    12 years ago

Thanks for the reply. Gorgeous pics of your lilies and bouquets.
    This is just my 2nd year, and it is slow going since my growing partner moved away. I hope to grow some lilies next year for selling. I've requested ednie and the adr catalogs....sure hope they arrive soon so I can pour through them. :D

Sponsored