Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anniew_gw

Sleeve size????

anniew
18 years ago

I'm looking for experienced ideas on what sleeve size to buy for bouquets of three lily stems, plus some filler. Dimensions would be best, as small, medium or large may vary. Thanks. Ann

Comments (3)

• flowerfarmer
    18 years ago

For two stems of lilies (mostly in bud) and three stems of filler such as limonium, baby's breath, plume, we use a sleeve size of 14" across the top, 4" across the bottom, and 25" long. I looked in Johnny's, who you had mentioned previously, and that would be their "medium." So, I am assuming for three stems you would want to purchase the large 18" x 30" x 6." I don't know how long you cut your stems; however, we cuts ours long. Hope this helps. Just curious -- for three lily stems and filler is your pricing around $15?

• flowers4u
    18 years ago

Ann,
    I order primarily large and extra large with top openings of 17-19". I don't usually worry to much about the length, because I don't try to get the entire bouquet in a sleeve, just the flowers (i.e. not the stems). The bottom openings range from 3.5 - 4". I have found that having the larger sleeves works for more "garden type" flowers, i.e. daisies, rudbeckia, cosmos, etc. where you may put more stems in a bunch, but still want the sleeve! Lilies, as flowerfarmer mentions, don't need the bigger sleeves unless you put more stems and they open up on you!

I also like the clear, vented variety with a scalloped top...they allow the flowers to breathe. I went "sleeve shopping" a couple of weeks ago, and actually splurged on some colored sleeves...we'll see if it helps sales! I got purple, lime green, orange, and one mix of orange/yellow for sunflowers, in addition to my standard clear and white sleeves. I also use the sealed bottom sleeves to send flowers home with people from our Sat. Market...that way if they have to stop before going home, the flowers are ok!
    Wendy

• anniew
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the replies. I went to the wholesale florist yesterday and they had limited selection, but I got two different sizes.
    FF: I had to laugh (cry) at your guess of price. I'd love to get $15 for three lily stems and a little filler, but am lucky to get half that. I live in a county which is the lowest or next to the lowest in household income in Pennsylvania with 67 counties.
    Discretionary income is practically nil, and I just hope for the customers with a little extra, plus some seasonal people. Even for a 6.5 inch pot of three asiatic lilies, I only get $7.50.
    Today I'm going (in the worst heat since 1988) to the next county over for a new farmers market, and will see if I can get more.
    Thanks for the input.
    Ann

Sponsored