Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kitkat_oregon

Queen lime zinnia, Yuck!

kitkat_oregon
14 years ago

Well, I have blooms and they are ugly, ugly, ugly. Not dark red with a lime green center, they are a dirty dull pink with a few green quills in the middle. They are getting pulled up and put in the compost. Does anyone else have this issue? Kat

Comments (11)

• thinman
    14 years ago

No, but you've made me feel a lot better about not getting the seeds I ordered. Sorry you had to waste your time and money on them. Maybe others had better resuts?

ThinMan

• Noni Morrison
    14 years ago

Mine are growing and about the only zinnias I have since the others got pnuemonia in our cold spring. It will be interesting to see if they color up better in some climates and what those might be.

• all_bout_flowers
    14 years ago

I was afraid of that happening that's why I didn't buy the seeds.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    14 years ago

There was an interesting thread on these on the annuals forum, complete with some pics. (See below)

I may never know how they look. My zinnias (like the rest of my garden) are doing horribly. Forty days and forty nights of rain have done a number on most things, and if it wasn't the rain and the clouds and the cool weather, it was the bugs.

I think at this point I'd be so happy to see them bloom, I don't care what they look like, lol!

Sorry you were disappointed Kat! If and when I ever get blooms, I'll let you know how mine are.

:)
    Dee

Here is a link that might be useful: Queen Mauve Lime?

• kitkat_oregon
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi all, Dee thanks for the link to the annuals forum, mine look exactly like the ones pictured there including the lime one, except mine is a dull lime too. It seems like everyone is having the same results. Oh well. I think I will let Johnneys know that their photo has a case of enthusiastic printers ink. Sorry that your season has been so non productive, ours has been good so far. Now I am just waiting for my suns to come on. I planted the Zohar variety, 40-50 days supposedly, I am looking at day 40 now and I dont have a bud yet. What is it with this business??? Hope your weather improves:) Very sensible, All bout flowers, I was too hopeful for a new zinnia. Best wishes to all. Kat

• annebert
    14 years ago

Thanks for letting us know. I was distracted at planting time and didn't get a single seed to germinate. But I wonder whether this year's weird weather has anything to do with it. I will probably try them again next year, just to reassure myself.

• tommyk
    14 years ago

Yeah, my Queen Lime is not as bright as the photo in Johnny's catalog.

The plants are growing fine but production as not been that great and the flower size so-so.

We are market growers and Zinnias are our favorite annual for cut flowers. We always try new varieties and QL looked impressive in the catalog, but it's performance has not been . . . so far.

The weather has not been the best, but has finally warmed up, so I'll wait to see if the "Queen" perks up and performs like most of my other Zinnias.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    12 years ago

Just thought I'd post a follow-up to this thread. I tried the Queen Red Lime again this season, and I am just not impressed. Mine are quite... muddy, and dull. There is a bit of variation, but they don't look anything like the photos in the link above. Those, at least, were bright, and clear, and could work in combination with certain other blooms.

I didn't think to take photos. Will try tomorrow in case anyone wants to see my version, lol. But overall, I am disappointed in these. Still glad I tried them, as I like to try new things, but this one is not a keeper, IMO.

Dee

• thinman
    12 years ago

Thanks for the follow-up, Dee. After your first report I didn't bother to try them myself, and I'm glad to hear that I haven't missed anything.

ThinMan

• bfff_tx
    12 years ago

The Association of Specialty Cut Flower Growers (ASCFG) have voted the "Queen Red Lime" Zinnia as the Fresh Cut Flower of the Year for 2011.

Cheers Kim BFFF

Sponsored