Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
naturemitch

Need some feedback/opinions on dianthus

naturemitch
18 years ago

Hi everyone,

Well, my newest obsession to try is dianthus...thanks to all of you!:)

You guys have raved about the amazon series and I did try some of those this year...although in very limited numbers. For one, by the time I sowed them it was getting kind of late(so my plants are a little small yet), and secondly this is my trial year with a lot of different flowers.

So....when you guys mentioned 'sooty' on another post , I am now dying to try this and some other biennial dianthus. Thing is the more I look, the more I get overwhelmed.

I do know I want to sow them this summer and plant them out this fall...so I need something that will overwinter for me(obviously not amazon!).

What do you all like? And...for sooty...where are you finding seed for them(I too noticed Veseys had them...anyone had luck with them?). I primarily stick with Johnnys and Germania.

One other thing...I have limited space at our house(in town), and the plot we use for spring/summer/fall gets tilled up in the spring of the year(we have no control on the tilling). If I planted some for "holding" at our house (over winter)and then dig and transplant to the large plot in the spring...what would you think? Any other ideas? I don't have the space at our house to grow to maturity alot of dianthus, but was hoping maybe I could use it as a nursery bed kinda thing.

Sorry for the long post, you guys are great with all the information that is given on this forum....it is by far my fave.

thanks

m

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?