Return to the Cutting Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bouquets for dancers

Posted by caavonldy 8/9 N CA (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 27, 07 at 12:03

I have volunteered to make up bouquets for all the girls in my GD's dance classes. I need to make up 10 small bouquets for Sat night for their recital. I have cosmos, zinias, babys breath, annual coreopsys, purple coneflowers, small sunflowers and black-eyed susans. Should I cut them tonight and let them condition overnight(we cool down outside to the 60s at night) or should I cut them early tomorrow morning. We are having hot weather(96-98) and keep our house between 78-80 to save $ on AC cost. Is it OK to store the bouquets in coolers? I don't have room for all those flowers in the fridge. I sure could use some help from the pros on this forum. Thank you. Donna

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bouquets for dancers

Guess I am too late to answer this! HOpe the flowers held up and the event were fun for all!

o

Everything turned out great. I picked flowere at 6 am and used the conditioning lq that I found on this forum. I was able to keep them cool in the neighbor's extra fridge that was stored in her garage. I would still like to know what is the best thing to do as next year we have to do it again and the neighbor is having the fridge picked up next week.

o

Given the (relatively) cool overnight temps, you could easily pick early in the morning for something the same night. If the time to use is less than that, I'd go with the "as late as possible the night before" cutting. That way you'd be sure they were well-hydrated.

o

Thanks for the suggestions, I will try to plan ahead next year and plant flowers that hold up longer. It looks like this will be an annual thing. Everyone loved the flowers, they were much nicer than what was available at the plant stands in the supermarkets and better then the carnations that the florest had. He wanted $7 for 2 carnations with a bit of filler, tied with a ribbon. I needed 10 bouquets. There was not that much in our budget. I did it all for les then $7 for all ten with the flowers in my garden plus some ribbon and some plastic to wrap them in.

o

Hi, do you have any photos of the bouquets? if so I would like to see them please! I'm new here and not sure where
to upload flower arrangements or where to find them!
Any help would be much appreciated, thanks

o

Sorry, I didn't even think of taking photos of the flowers, only the girls.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cutting Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here