Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
steve22802

Ideas for corsage background leaves?

steve22802
11 years ago

I need to make some corsages for an upcoming wedding and I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for background foliages? I've been experimenting with peony leaves and euonymous leaves. What else works well for this purpose? This is my first time making corsages so any hints or tips would be helpful.

Thanks,

Steve

Comments (9)

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    11 years ago

Well, I have never made a corsage in my life, so take anything I say with a grain of salt! But, I am thinking of something with smaller leaves, like euonymus, which I think would hold up well without water as well. And there are many variegations in color and size to choose from.

Oh duh, I just re-read your post and see that you already mentioned euonymus! Sorry. But I still think that would work well. Perhaps caryopteris? The variegated (Snow-something?) is very pretty.

But I guess I'm having trouble with the idea of these (corsages) having to be out of water, and it seems to me like most things would wilt quickly. That's why I'm thinking evergreens - euonymus, holly, yew - would work better, although they may say "winter" or even "Christmas" to too many people.

Astilbe? Plain old forsythia? Something airy and ferny like nigella or larkspur foliage? Or Queen Anne's lace? I suppose, though, that I am thinking more of a filler than a "background"; not sure if that makes a difference.

Sorry, I guess my post has been one big thinking-out-loud session. Let us know what you decide on.

Dee

P.S. For a real "background" perhaps grape leaves might work? I was just outside ripping out some wild grape vines so they are on my brain, lol. Again, don't know how they would hold up without water. But if they worked you might be able to incorporate some of that curly vine thing they have going on too. Might be pretty.

P.P.S. Lupine leaves? Very pretty....

• steve22802
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Dee,

You triggered one new idea for me that I hadn't thought of and that would be holly. I believe my mom has a holly bush so I'll try a bit of that and see how it works. I'm hoping to use all my own plant materials for the wedding but if I'm desperate I may have to go buy some leather leaf fern. I think this is the traditional plant to use for corsages but it's not one that I grow as it is a tropical plant.

There are a number of common plants with a similar look like yarrow and tansy but they are also very wilt prone out of water. Right now I have two fridges full of flowers hiding from our current heatwave until Saturday. :( The forecast high temps for Thursday - Saturday are 97, 98 and 101 degrees! :( My dahlias are not amused by the heat and keep giving me deformed blossoms. Grrrrr!

- Steve

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    11 years ago

Steve, the only problem with holly (other than it's winter & Christmas associations) may be that it might hurt, lol! If the leaves stick out at all it may scratch someone's wrist or chest (not sure if these are wristlet corsages or pin-on ones) but that might not be a major concern.

Does the fern have to be leather-leaf? If not, I would imagine you can ask on your local freecycle for some ferns. In my neck of the woods, which is rural/suburban with lots of patches of woods and water, many people have these growing in their yards. What's worse, many people regard them as weeds so they may be willing to let you take some. Hey, if you take the whole plant you can plant them and then you will have a supply for the next job!

;)
    Dee

• bfff_tx
    11 years ago

Steve
    Rosemary, Waxleaf Lingustrum, Ivy, Asparagus Ferns, Eucalyptus, Pittosporum, Myrtle Tips, Boxwood, Foxtail Fern Tips, Camelia.

Good Luck - Kim

• steve22802
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Kim for some more ideas! I do have access to ivy so I'll give that a try. Variegated Pittosporum is on my list of plants to aquire although I think it will need some extra protection in my climate. I was trying out some laurel today and I think that might work ok too.

• steve22802
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Just wanted to report that my wedding flower job today went great. Clients were very pleased. I ended up using Nandina foliage for my foundation for corsages. It worked great!

One thing I learned from this experience is that it's really helpful to have lots of refrigerator space available at this time of year. I had to rescue lots of flowers from the current heat wave well in advance of the wedding day. :( My dahlias don't like this excessive heat. They keep putting out misshapen flowers. :(

- Steve

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    11 years ago

Congratulations! I didn't realize the big day was so close! I'm glad to hear everything went well.

My dahlias don't even have buds yet....

Dee

• steve22802
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I built a small greenhouse (16x12feet) last winter and that was a big help getting an early start. I potted up lots of dahlia tubers and put them in the greenhouse. They sprouted and grew into small plants and then I transplanted them when the danger of frost was pasted. That helped me to get earlier dahlia blooms.

- Steve

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    11 years ago

Ooh, I'm jealous! Wish I had skills to build and room to place a greenhouse! (well, I've got room, but I don't think a greenhouse in the woods will be of much help, lol!)

Saw a few buds on the dahlias today. Won't be long now!

Dee

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?