Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ann_in_houston

forum overlap? Need cutting choices for hot Houston

Ann_in_Houston
11 years ago

I read the Texas Gardening forum the most, because our heat is so hard on so many plants. Recently, though, I have enjoyed bringing in several of my stems for arrangements. Does anyone here live in a hot, humid climate? I am interested in growing flowers and greenery for cutting but have no idea what will work for me. Thanks.

Comments (7)

• magz88
    11 years ago

We are hot and humid - but only for about 3 months of the year.

• Ann_in_Houston
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm sure it's too late in the season to start anything, unless there are some fall possibilities. We have a long growing season.

• magz88
    11 years ago

You can still sow zinnias.

• rjanders
    11 years ago

You can grow zinnias, celosia, many kinds, sunflowers, gomphrena, amaranths, grasses. I live an hour west of Houston and grow all these flowers for cutting this time of year.

• Ann_in_Houston
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow, thanks. And now that I see this response, you can ignore my question in the thread about the agapanthus. I should have known it would be a fellow Texan who would guess the mystery stems. So, should I read up on how to do those from seed, or do they sell the plants? I'm guessing I should plan to do the sunflowers from seed. I don't ever remember seeing them in nurseries.

• rjanders
    11 years ago

I sow all my seeds in little tray packs and then when they are about 4 to 6" tall I plant them out in beds. I have a large cut flower business and sell my flowers now at Central Market. There is also a farmers market in Houston called Urban Harvest on Eastside and Richmond and there are two other cut flower growers there that you can check out.Read through all the past posts and just search these flowers and there is tons of stuff on this forum to tell you how to grow them. There is also a meeting coming up on August 6th in LA that anyone can attend to learn how to grow cut flowers. Check out the Association of Speciality Cut Flower Growers and all the info is on there under events, regional meetings.

• bfff_tx
    11 years ago

Hi Ann
    Like Rita (rjanders) I am also a cut flower farmer located about an hour NW of downtown Houston. Currently I'm growing Veronica, Rudbeckia, Heliopsis, Zinnias, Marigolds, Tuberose, Gomphrena, Celosia (Cockscomb and Plumed varieties), Dahlias, Lisianthus, Cinnamon Basil, Tithonia, Ageratum, Amaranthus, Ornamental Grasses and Millets and Sunflowers. The annuals are grown from seed that comes from commercial specialty seed companies but you could source some from "Johnny's Selected Seed" or "Park Seed". For foliage, Eucalyptus will grow in Houston, Waxleaf Lingustum, Privets, periwinkle, Pittosporum, Foxtail Ferns, Cast Iron Plant, Rosemary to name a few.
    It's not too late to sow Zinnias, Celosia, Amaranths, Sunflowers, Gomphrena's, Cinnamon Basil, Tithonia and Marigolds now for the fall, just make sure you get tall varieties and not the bedding varieties.
    Cheers Kim
    Billabong Fresh Flower Farm

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz