Return to the Cutting Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to condition Cerinthe?

Posted by pudge 2/3 Sask (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 1, 08 at 16:26

I've got a nice row of Cerinthe I plan to cut for this weekend's bouquets, but am not sure how to treat it once cut. I've read a couple of places where it says to immerse the cut ends in boiling water for 30 seconds. It's my first time growing it and I really like it - any info/experience on this is much appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to condition Cerinthe?

• Posted by pudge 2/3 Sask (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 4, 08 at 23:20

Okay, well I did a test of one stem just cut into plain water and 4 days later it still is very nice so I guess no boiling water needed.

o

Thank you, Pudge, for sharing your experience with Cerinthe. I plan to grow this next year.

Teresa

o

Tue, Jul 8, 08 at 13:25

You're welcome, Teresa. I'm very pleased with this plant as a filler and suspect it will find its way into many of my bouquets. A bouquet containing Cerinthe, soft pink Peonies, Lady's Mantle & Baby's Breath and set in preservative water is still looking very fresh today (Tuesday).

o

Pudge,

That bouquet sounds gorgeous!!

Teresa

o

Hi Pudge -
Quick question -- at what stage did you cut this? I think my cerinthe are ready...I've never grown them and planted them in May outside...they have the blue flowers, still droopy though, do they "stand up" and then they're ready? Or, are they just filler?
Thanks,
Wendy

o

Tue, Jul 29, 08 at 18:20

I've been cutting for a month so I'm sure yours must be ready. No, it doesn't stand up although it does get somewhat perkier once cooled and set in preservative water. I used it only as filler, but a lot of customers noticed it right off and asked what it was. Some really liked the little purple bell flowers. A nice plant and I'll grow it again but only about half the amount I planted this year - I didn't know it would get as big as it did.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cutting Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here