Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jansblooms

selecting flowers for boutonniere

jansblooms
18 years ago

I'm planning flowers for a man's 90th birthday party, and I thought I had everything in order--up to the last days--until I remembered a boutonniere. The workhorses of my flowers will be zinnias in yellow and scarlet, with fillers including Bells of Ireland, yellow and/or white statice, wild goldenrod, artemesia, coreopsis 'Early Sunrise', yellow and/or white snaps, and white gomphrena. I think the rudbeckia might be too orangish. The main event flowers are still in doubt, depending on what's blooming. They might be lilies, annual dahlias from seed(Victoria Mix), or glads.

Do boutonniere flowers need any more/different conditioning than regular flowers? Besides the green tape, is anything used to maintain moisture (like damp paper towel or cotton ball between flower and tape)? Lilies and maybe glads, too, will be too big. Would zinnias stand up in a boutonniere? Should I be placing an order with the florist instead?

One more question: All the decorations and plastic/paper products are purchased and prepared, with the yellow/scarlet color scheme. Would purple larkspur or 'Blue Horizon' ageratum in the flowers alone (nowhere else in the decorations) give the right "punch," or would they destroy any unity or harmony already planned?

Thanks for your opinions and suggestions.

Comments (10)

• susiq
    18 years ago

Jan, I'm NOOOO expert, but....

You list several white flowers along w/ the reds & oranges. Maybe you could order in a few white rose buds, back them up w/ the white or yellow statice.....

OR, new brain jump!

Use the white snaps for bouts. I THINK ("spoken" w/ strong trepidation) that snaps would hold up for a bout. Again, back them w/ tiny clusters of the other flowers, the statice or maybe gomphrenas.

I've only made bouts (and corsages) once. All I did was wrap everything in green tape. No intervening water holders. You might want to add thin green wire to some of the flowers, esp. if the stems are short. I bought a flower arranging book so I could make them. They said to basically cut off all stems (ie roses,other big stemmed flowers), and use the wire & tape instead because of bulk.

In certain arrangements you can use the water holder pics, but I don't think that would be for a bout. However, I think someone makes a water holder with a pin attachment so you could wear a rose on a suit lapel or fancy dress. My visual memory of that product is not strong, but I "assumed" it to be a more feminine thing. Maybe it could work for either gender.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes. Give the birthday gentleman hugs and good wishes from all of us.

Susi.

• jansblooms
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks, SusieQ!. We're leaving on vacation this afternoon, so I'll have about 9 days of break, and then just a few more days before the party. Your help, and from anyone else, should get me going as my mind focuses on your suggestions. I had thought of a yellow or red rose or carnation for the bout. (He is really a special man, one who treats me like a daughter, not a daughter-in-law. He'll get hugs all right!)

• Jeanne_in_Idaho
    18 years ago

I think a carnation bud or rosebud would be fine, or a whole carnation, if they aren't too big. If you get the flowers conditioned and cooled well ahead of time, then make the boutonniere, then mist it and pop it into a fridge in a sealed box (Tupperware is fine) until you need it, it should be able to last a few hours at room temperature. If you want it (or any other "made" flowers that aren't in water) to last longer without water, get some anti-transpirant spray at a florist warehouse/florist supply company, and spray the finished product with it. I don't recommend doing that instead of refrigerating it, but in addition. The taping helps the bud stay moist also.

I'd go for dark purple larkspur rather than the paler ageratum, myself, but I'm no color genius. Where's LizaLily when you need her?

Jeanne

• Noni Morrison
    18 years ago

Out in the garden picking under noon-day sun to avoid the dreaded visiting sister-in-law who's every sentences starts with "I" and "My" and ends with "grandchildren". Sent hubby off to show them around our island. Suggested some good places to eat lunch. "Saturday is my busiest day and I will be working until sundown" I have been...trimmed all the buddleias and saved some to sell. Going to try mixed bouquets of buddleias tomorrow. Pink white, sungold, blue purple and indigo maybe with wite mallow.

YEs I would go with the intense color of larkspur rather then the soft color of ageratum. Intense colors show off better with other intnse colors and white. A pastel shade tends to get lost or look muddy.

We have used lots of different things for boutonieres but darned if I can remember what. Anything that has a heavy substance to the petals will last longer then the more fragile things. WE make them up the day ahead place them on damp paper towels in a baggie then refrigerate. Keep them in the baggies until time to pin them on. DO NOT LET THem FREEZE (VOice of experience here from dealing with unknown fridge "on site" We like to use a fragrant herb with the flower something like lavender or rosemary.It can be "in flower" or just the foliage. I would do some experimenting ahead of time and see what is going to hold up best.

• paveggie
    18 years ago

Hmm --if want to use some of your own flowers - maybe some little statice pieces, the white gomphrena and an Early Sunrise coreopsis. After conditioning of the gomphrena and coreopsis, insert a piece of fine wire (I don't have the weights in my head) from the bottom up through the flower. On the end make a very tiny hook, then gently pull that back into the flower 'til hidden. Wrap the stem(s) and wire together with the floral tape, then assemble.

The wire keeps the heads from snapping, wilting, and also allows for some bending if desired. The gentleman will probably be getting a lot of hugs, so something less perishable than zinnias might be safer.

• Noni Morrison
    18 years ago

Oh yes, and make up a few extras...if someone hugs too hard and breaks the flower you can just pin a new one on.

• jansblooms
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks to all of you! I liked the idea of dark purple better, too. It's just that, on my small, non-market scale, I'm never sure what will be blooming. I function much better, especially emotionally, when I have a backup plan. (And I'm pretty sure that a florist's bout is likely to be my backup this time.)

Here's my question again: If only the serving table includes purple with the red, yellow, and white flowers, will that lack unity with the guest tables decorated in only yellow and red? (Those tables won't have flowers, but rather gift bag decorations, done before vacation, before I thought of purple.) I don't want the added purple to look like a foreigner or afterthought. (Yes, I know--it IS an afterthought!)

We just arrived back from vacation this AM. I've checked the cutting garden, and there will be plenty of zinnias in canary yellow and scarlet red. I also have a few glads that I think will be ready--a yellow-and-red, a red, and hopefully at least one more of those glads. (There are others, too, but in the wrong colors.) White statice and Bells of Ireland will be ready. With all our heat, the snaps have slowed way down, so I don't know if I can use those. On the other hand, I was surprised to find some red monarda still in bloom. Purchased yellow lilies are another definite possibility to go with these.

Thanks for all you've taught me, and for taking time during your really busy season, to answer my question.

• Noni Morrison
    18 years ago

I don't think there is any problem with using purple in the boutenieres. Using it only on the head table helps to designat it as the color for people important enough to the cellebration to wear flowers. WHen is the party?

• lmariesteve
    18 years ago

Don't use snaps- they will wilt. You could use glad blooms. Put a small bud behind a more open bloom. You could use the glad foliage and make a loop with it and cut to fit the size of the bout. and tape behind the glads.You could use a small filler flower with it also. I've made bridal boquets from glad blooms - they call them "glamelias" . Turns out pretty but tons of work since you have to split the blooms and glue and wire them around a bud to look like a camelia. They hold up pretty well, though.

• jansblooms
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the great idea on how to use glads and glad foliage. One of my glads is yellow with a red throat, so that would be a great flower for the bout, carrying out the color scheme.