Return to the Cutting Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Monarda hybrida Bergamo

Posted by pudge 2/3 Sask (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 18, 09 at 18:29

Does anyone know at what stage to cut this? I've not grown nor cut this before - the bracts are just beginning to colour.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Monarda hybrida Bergamo

• Posted by pudge 2/3 Sask (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 26, 09 at 20:37

Well it's been just over a week since I first noticed the bracts on the lowest 'whorl' were starting to colour up. That particular stem now has 4 completely coloured and blooming whorls and the 5th and 6th (topmost) blooms - or whorl - are not completely formed nor coloured. Side stems with more blooms are immature with slight colouring. I cut that stem today, along with another stem that is slightly more immature, and put them in preservative water. The topmost, immature blossoms initially drooped but after about 6 hours in water, they perked up and are now standing straight.

I'll watch how it progresses thru the week and post again. This is a really nice looking flower and appears to definitely be worth growing - I hope the vase life is good.

Here is a link that might be useful: Monarda Bergamo

o
RE: Monarda hybrida Bergamo

• Posted by pudge 2/3 Sask (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 2, 09 at 10:23

The Bergamo stems I cut last Sunday are showing no sign of decline - they look as fresh as if they'd been cut this morning. I wouldn't be surprised they persist for another week. Also unopened blossoms have been opening in the vase.

I cut and used these for filler in yesterdays bouquets for market. I did find them a little difficult to place and on some I landed up removing the lowest bloom.

I'll grow these again next year, probably twice as many. We've had a very cool season and these have performed really well in some really rotten weather. Also no bugs or disease have bothered it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cutting Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here