Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
goodscents_gw

Snapdragons

goodscents
18 years ago

What do people do - if anything - about the way snapdragons drop their blossoms shortly after they are pollinated? I grow the Rocket series and the stems are pretty tall but the actual blooming part of the stem is only about 6 inches. I know catalogs often lie, but so many pictures show these long spikes of flowers. I get nothing like that.

Any suggestions appreciated!

Kirk

Comments (6)

• Fundybayfarm
    18 years ago

Kirk,
    I had what the catalog showed last year from my rocket snaps, but this year the weather didn't permit any annual to grow to it's potential. I'm sorry, I don't know what the problem could be with yours, flowerfarmer seems to be having a great growing season, and in the same state. We just didn't have warm weather, especially night time temps in time for these to get tall.
    Cheryl

• Jeanne_in_Idaho
    18 years ago

Those snapdragons with florets all up and down the stem are probably a result of growing the snaps in a greenhouse, maybe with screens on the intake vents. There are no pollinators, so the flowers stay open longer. If there is another way, I don't know what it is, other than possibly killing off all the flying insects within a radius of several miles.

I grow a few greenhouse snaps. Even without screens on my intake vents, there aren't many pollinators in there, so I get lovely full stems, albeit still not quite as full as those photos. That's in sharp contrast to my field-grown snaps, which look just like yours. As long as I accept that they will never look the same, nor can they be used the same way in bouquets, I stay happy.

Jeanne

• flowerfarmer
    18 years ago

Kirk,
    Last year we had ideal growing conditions in Michigan. This year there has been much stress -- both on the plants and the growers.

Picture of Rocket Snapdragons in a pink and white section. The white are much taller and more fragrant than the pink. I don't think they look that bad considering all the heat we have had. They also held up well through the pounding rain and flash flood we received here on Saturday evening.

{{gwi:625176}}

Photo taken on Sunday after we supposedly harvested for the Saturday markets. It looks a little blurry; but, it was pretty hazy at 6 pm yesterday. We harvest starting again today for the next market.

• goodscents
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Mine look pretty similar to Flowerfarmer's, although they often drop a couple more florets in the process of cutting, leaf stripping, transporting etc.

I never noticed that they were fragrant but someone visiting the garden with me thought they smelled very nice. I'll see if I notice the difference between the colors.

Flowerfarmer, this has been a more stressful year for me and my plants, too. On the other hand, I have lots of subscriptions and plenty of flowers for the first time, so there is an upside to the stress.
    Kirk

• Noni Morrison
    18 years ago

I wish we were dealing with the stress of too many subscribers right now!

I grew "Bright butterflies" snaps this year and I purely love them! I haven't noticed them dropping petals. MAybe because I PIck when the first few flowers are opening...but I had one yellow outlast everything in a 10 day bouquet and still look fresh as a daisy. The flowers that opened in the house were noticably paler but the whole bloom stalk opened and is still beautiful.

• Jeanne_in_Idaho
    18 years ago

They keep opening after being cut, and don't drop that much, so the spike continues to get fuller in the bouquet (or bucket).

Jeanne

Sponsored