Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ann_in_houston

I'm new here but I think you'll like this

Ann_in_Houston
11 years ago

Forgive the phone pic quality, but check out the tall greenery in this arrangement. Granted, the flowers are common and the arrangement fairly unoriginal but I am learning on my own and I'm limited to our local grocer and my own yard. Can anyone guess what the green starburst shaped stems are? Let me know how you like them, and any tips are appreciated.

Comments (19)

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    11 years ago

My first thought was papyrus, but not sure.... then I thought perhaps allium seed heads with the tips cut off, but these look too thick.

Are you testing us, or asking us, lol?

It's a nice accent, whatever it is!

Dee

• Ann_in_Houston
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Definitely testing. I have tons of these, but I'm sorry to say I only have two more in my beds. I won't drag it out too long, but I'd like to see if anyone can guess.

• Ann_in_Houston
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Maybe CT isn't hot enough for these. If there are any Gulf-Coasters here, they might know.

• magz88
    11 years ago

I've never seen that plant before.

The pic quality actually makes it look like a drawing.

• Ann_in_Houston
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It's what is left after the flowers are spent and the seeds fall off. Surely someone has a yard full of these, right about now.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    11 years ago

Geez, I can only think of hydrangea, from your hint, but honestly, I've never seen one without blooms so I don't know what it looks like! Is it hydrangea?? But wait, no, hydrangea doesn't have seeds that fall off. And the stems don't look quite right...

I'm intrigued....

I just sold some (if I may say so) spectacular lily bouquets today. Whatever this plant is above, it sure would have looked good in those bouquets!

Dee

• rjanders
    11 years ago

Is it agapanthus?

• Ann_in_Houston
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yaaayyyy! You got it. Here is the source of these cool stems. I wish I could preserve them so I use all of them, and not waste any. rjanders, what part of the country do you live in? Are these strictly a southern, or gulf coast flower?

• Ann_in_Houston
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh, and diggerdee, you made me feel so good with your remark about how they would have looked good in your lily bouquets. Do you sell the bouquets just wrapped in pretty paper or are they in vases?

• rjanders
    11 years ago

I live 80 west of Houston on IH 10 towards San Antonio.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    11 years ago

Ah! Agapanthus. No, I do not think CT is too cold to grow this; I think I've seen it in nurseries. I just never grew it myself but now I may have to start, lol!

Ann, I meant it - using the stems of this plant is a nice touch. I just sell my bouquets with elastic bands wrapped around them. I looked into those bouquet wrappers but I hate to use plastic, so I decided against them. I guess it doesn't make much difference since some customers ask for a plastic bag for the bouquets anwyway, but some don't, and some put the bouquets in their reusable bags.

There was a company that kept touting compostable wraps/bouquet holders but every time I check with them they keep saying they are "in the works" and will be ready soon. So I gave up on that!

Dee

• Ann_in_Houston
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, Dee, agapanthus are also pretty in a vase in their blooming stage, but I'm not sure they are suitable, just wrapped in paper. I would put some damp paper toweling or newspaper around the stems, within the other packaging. It has that sticky sap when you first cut the stems. I cut them really close to the plant and then leave them long until I know how tall I want the flower to stand in the vase. Your clients could cut them again. I have used them only once in an arrangement while still blooming and they continue to open. I just can't bear to take them out of my landscape because they don't rebloom.

• Ann_in_Houston
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh, and btw, in case you can find a way that the sap doesn't matter, they come in giant (the ones in the yard pic I posted)and also smaller. The smaller ones stand about 16" or so for the blooms. They also come in white, lavender blue and darker blue. If I remember right, the darker ones are not as tall, but they aren't so short as the shortest ones.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    11 years ago

Thanks for that info Ann. One question - do you find that the sap makes a difference in vase life, and do you do anything special while cutting? For instance, with euphorbia, stems need to be put into hot/warm water upon cutting because of the sap, etc. Do you do that for the agapanthus?

I think the perfect solution for not having the heart to remove the blooms from the garden (and I COMPLETELY understand that, lol!) is to enjoy the blooms in the garden and then use the "bare" stems in arrangements! You get to enjoy the best of both stages!

Dee

• Ann_in_Houston
    Original Author
    11 years ago

So far, that's been the system. I would pull into the driveway and see those bare stems and think "Hmmm... those spent agapanthus don't actually look too bad. I wonder how they would look with flowers." And just decided to try them. I don't have enough experience with them to answer your questions. I have been just cutting them and putting them in like all the other flowers. They last about a week before they turn brown. I saw something on a webpage for conditioning flowers for cuttings about holding a flame to the stem if it has oozy sap. I will go back and review that to see if it seems to apply.

• steve22802
    11 years ago

Dee, the larger Agapanthus africanus would not be hardy in your zone. I have one growing in a pot that I keep above freezing through the winter. You may be able to grow the Headbourne Hybrids agapanthus though, they are suppose to be somewhat hardier. I have about 20 of the Headbourne hybrids that I raised from seed. I'm going to leave them outdoors in the ground this winter and see how well they endure the cold.

- Steve

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    11 years ago

Thanks for that info Steve. But I looked up the Headbourne Hybrids, and most places say zone 7 minimum. I'm in zone 6. I suppose I could just wait a few years and the way the climate is changing I will be a zone 7!

I'll do more in-depth research, but I think I will have to do without these beauties for now.

Dee

• Ann_in_Houston
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I could send you some in the seed-bearing stage.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    11 years ago

Oops, sorry Ann! Haven't been around here for awhile so I missed your generous offer. I thank you but think I'll pass for now. Too many other irons in the fire and too many pots of stuff still to plant without taking on new ones at the moment.

But thanks anyway! Much appreciated!
    :)
    Dee

Sponsored