Return to the Cutting Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to harvest Ruby Silk - Eragrostis tef

Posted by hvander 5B ON (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 13, 06 at 21:34

I threw caution to the wind this past spring and planted a lot of items that were recommended in this forum. Most items are straight forward enough. However, I'm not sure what to do with my Ruby Silk grass. What is the correct stage for harvesting? And, more importantly, how does one harvest? Do you cut stem by stem or do you cut the whole clump and then sort them?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to harvest Ruby Silk - Eragrostis tef

I harvest mine when the heads are cascading and are a rich "ruby" color. Grab the grass 4-6 inches from the ground -I do a hand full at a time- and cut. I then take the grass by the neck and shake to remove any blades of grass that are not attached. I then rubberband and put in a bucket of water. The grass should give you a second harvest not as tall as the first but useable. If you have waited too long and the heads are a dull brownish color, I would cut it back and wait for the second harvest to use it.

Patty

o

Thanks Patty! I should have listened to my wife's advice! Do you have any problems with the grass falling over after it gets a certain height? I came back to my field after a heavy rain and my entire patch of grass was flattened and it wasn't a pretty sight!

o

Yes that is a problem. Last year that happened to me. It was at harvesting stage though, and I had it in landscape fabric (no dirt on the heads) so I was able to cut and use it. I should have used support netting.
Patty

o

Glad I found this thread...I just collected some seeds from mine and wondered if I could cut it back for a second flowering....

I sooo hate to cut it off just yet as it is peaking at the moment...how long do you think I have?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cutting Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here