Return to the Cutting Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Why are my Scabiosa so Tall and Sprawling?

Posted by rozegardener Z8 Santa Cruz (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 18, 11 at 21:51

I planted them from sets in November, and covered them anytime they might have gotten frosted over the winter. Finally they're blooming abundantly and beautifully, but they grew so tall first, if they were standing up they'd probably be 5 feet tall. This is the first year of this flower bed. Did they not want so much composted horse manure? I fertilized an inch or so in spring and again as summer started. Any ideas? For future reference is there any way to make them stand up straight? Also my blanket flower is sprawling too.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Why are my Scabiosa so Tall and Sprawling?

My blanket flower that I have in 'good' dirt is sprawling everywhere. The ones that I planted in sandier soil are a nice size. I guess they prefer poor soil.

o
RE: Why are my Scabiosa so Tall and Sprawling?

If you've grown Scabiosa atropurpurea, dependant on variety they will be 20" to 4' tall, especially since they've had such a long growing period. They do need to be supported. As a commercial grower I use 'Hortnova Netting' which is held up by T-posts
Cheers Kim - BFFF

Here is a link that might be useful: Hortnova Netting

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cutting Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here