Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phylrae

Who sells daffodils & what are your favs?

phylrae
17 years ago

Hi everyone,

I want to start selling spring bouquets locally, as well as the summer ones I've been doing this year. I plan to buy about 150-200 bulbs from John Scheepers...I'm not a big grower like so many of you!

Anyway, I wondered if you had any suggestions for daffodils that are not the typical ones everyone grows in their front yard...ones that will make people ooh and aaah. I have some, but not that many. Love some of the doubles and butterfly types, but love scent too.

Thanks for your help! :0) Phyl

Comments (6)

• Noni Morrison
    17 years ago

Phyl, some of my favorite Daffs are Slim Whitman, Ice Follies, Salome, Bell Song, Marika And many more! They all sold well in mixed bouquets.I like the bulbs I bouht from Daffodil Depot through ColorBlends best. They were all wonderful They have a wonderful selection and you can choose when you want them to arrive. I am orderin as many bulbs as possible from Colorblends this year. Except I don;t need more daffies, except I want to establish some actaea. They ship in nice plastic crates that are good for growing things in also! Bulbs were beautiful and healthy, and my tulips from them had less blight then ever before.

ICe Follies are great to start the season of large daffs...you would think everyone grows them but apparently not. THey don't seem to hold over well until the next year or increase like my other daffies do. Late daffs are nice mixed with the early tulips and sell very well.

• phylrae
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Liza,
    I have been trying to decide whether to buy from Daffodil Depot or JScheepers...back and forth, back and forth. Have you bought from both suppliers? I was considering the Daffodil 100 and some extras (doubles, butterfly types). I will have to look up the ones you suggested. Let me know if you can, the difference in quality between the two. I had planned to order some tulips and lilies from JS, but may go with Colorblends for the daffs/tulips and JS for lilies (price is good). Thanks. BTW, the idea you gave me (us) about the plastic cups/lids really has taken off. I have sold probably 75 mixed bouquets this way since June. I'm so excited! I just did a bridal shower, a company picnic and a bigger bouquet for a co-worker's girlfriend. You don't know how much your idea meant to me. It also helped me a lot, because my roses aren't long-stemmed (like from a florist) and I only have to use the pedicel and bloom from the lilies because the vases are so short! Everyone LOVES these "Portable Petals", as I call them. :0) Phyl

• Noni Morrison
    17 years ago

I am very unhappy with Scheepers quality, paticularly on their tulips but also some of their other bulbs. I feel that they relie too much on chemical growing . I also spoke to a very rude horticulturist there when I was havin troubles with my Tulips. Therefore I only buy there what I can't get elsewhere from them. A few alliums, some English bluebells, some lilies and maybe a new kind of tulip or two in small quantity to try out, and just for my own garden. Also, shipping from Scheepers and their wholesale division is rediculously expensive to here.

In the past I have ordered from flowerbulb.com and they have good prices but it seems like fewer option every year. They also make lots of mistakes so you never know what color you are actually getting. At first they were much less expensive and charged no freight.

• hopflower
    17 years ago

I have ordered from Scheepers for years and have always been very happy. It is true I usually only order paperwhites and King Alfred or Dutch Master daffs, but they are beautiful!

• phylrae
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the advice, both Hopflower and Lizalily. It is good to know this...because the only things I have grown so far from Scheepers have been lilies. I will keep this in mind. :0) Phyl
    BTW, what exactly do you mean, Lizalily, by the term "chemical growing?"

• Noni Morrison
    17 years ago

I mean that they sock so many chemicals to the plants that they have no natural resistence deveoped, THey treat the soil with anti-everythings before ever planting and fertilize heavily. When they are growing commercially in such large quantities How else would they prevent the fungus diseases and grow large bulbs?

Now this is just my opinion...no need for anyone to get hot and bothered. But if I can buy some that seem to have less fungal problems and be competitive in price then THat is who I will buy from. And if customer service is pleasant to me, and I ask a question to try to save my crop and am treated like a grower and not a silly housewife, I will buy from them even more readily.

Sponsored
Traditional Hardwood Floors LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Your Industry Leading Flooring Refinishers & Installers in Columbus