Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
poochella_gw

Highland White Daisies from Lizalily

Poochella
18 years ago

Here is a shot from Liza- they look like sturdy marvelous flowers; more worthy of cutting than my shastas. How do they hold up once cut Liza?

{{gwi:625274}}

Comments (22)

• Noni Morrison
    18 years ago

They hold up far longer then Shasta alaska. Stems are strong and wirey..hard to break with bare hands. Leaves are small and waxy.Terrific cutting flower! My blooms are about 5" across.

• susiq
    18 years ago

And where did anyone say we could GET this beauty? If the supplier has been mentioned, I missed it. So, please list the source(s) again.

Thanks--great pic. Looks so cool and refreshing! How does it do in 95+ heat?

Susi

• donn_
    18 years ago

Wayside sells them online, but not through the catalog. If you Google it, you'll find a couple of people selling flats of 3" pots, much cheaper than Wayside. They don't come true from seed, so vegetative propogation is the only alternative.

• Noni Morrison
    18 years ago

They readily divide and so one little pot now can become many plants within a few years. Once mine bloomed I felt like I knew a delicious secret that I wanted to share!

• Fundybayfarm
    18 years ago

Lizalily,
    Those look inncredible. Thanks for sharing. I'll bet they would look nice with a lime green zinnia.
    Cheryl

• Jeanne_in_Idaho
    18 years ago

My goodness, they look like gerberas! I'm going to have to get some of those. Thanks!

Jeanne

• paulns
    18 years ago

Exquisite.

• goshawker
    18 years ago

WOW!!! Count me in on a new one to get next year.

Steve

• honeybunny442
    18 years ago

Awesome, Liza!

• rita2004
    18 years ago

Thanks for posting pic. Those are gorgeous. Could you grow them in a greenhouse in the winter? I have to get some of those. Isn't this board great when you can see pics like that.
    Thanks

Rita

• Noni Morrison
    18 years ago

I somehow doubt that they would be that good in a greenhouse but you could aways give it a try I suppose. Mine grow about 40" tall. I Am guessing â hat â he stems would be weak in a greenhouse. Seems like some things like daisies should be allowed to be seasonal...we wouldn't want to get bored with these! I am always so excited when they start to bloom!

• rita2004
    18 years ago

Liza,
    You're probably right about them having weak stems in the greenhouse but I was thinking their so pretty I could plant some in there and enjoy them more. I searched the web and found a 1 flat and the guy is shipping them to me on Monday. I will plant them now and wait for them to bloom. You think they might bloom this year yet? We don't usually get cold till December and if not they will be worth the wait.

Rita

• Noni Morrison
    18 years ago

I don't know, Rita. My little plant took the winter to grow big enough to bloom but I don't remember when I planted it. Seems like DAisies bloom here in July. Is it a length of daylight thing? Anyone know?

• teresa_b
    14 years ago

I have not been too happy with the Shastas I planted and then found this thread. For those of you growing Highland White Daisies, are you still happy with them? How large does the plant get? My shasta daisies are turning into thugs and using too much real estate so I'm thinking of trying the Highlands.

I have also read that they bloom later than shastas, has that been your experience?

Thanks,

Teresa

• Noni Morrison
    14 years ago

I still grow them and still love them. Mine have been neglected for several years while I had trouble keeping up because of bad knees. Got new knees last year and am rebuilding my gardens. Moved some surviving Highland White Dreams to a new bed and they are looking great and budded up nicely. I Am guessing they might bloom around the 4th of July from the size of their buds. THis is a strong surviving plant and one of the prettiest daisies I have seen still!

• teresa_b
    14 years ago

Thank you Lizalily and glad to hear you are recovering with your new knees. You have had some great posts in the past and I have missed seeing anything recent from you.

I may start looking for some Highland White Daisies as I like that late bloom date, and it sounds like they are still working for you and surviving without a lot of attention.

Teresa

• all_bout_flowers
    14 years ago

How do you keep the bugs off your daisies? Every time I look at mine they have a petal bitten off or something. People want nice white daisies in their bouquets. Thank you for any suggestions.

• Noni Morrison
    14 years ago

My Highland White Dreams are just coming into bloom, just in time for the two weddings we have booked for the 4th of July when we need masses of white flowers!

I seldom have bug troubles with the HWD's, especially early in the season. I might try gently swishing them through a pail of water when picked( they sometimes have thrips) but aside from that, I have not had much trouble with bugs on them or eaten petals. These things are TOUGH! I can not even break the stems with my hands.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    14 years ago

all_bout_flowers, I have a horrible time with orienal beetles. I have asiatic beetles also, but it's the orientals I find all over my daisies. I can't find much info on how to deal with them - everything refers to Japanese and asiatics. It's gotten so I'm about to give up growing the daisies, because they look awful every single year.

That being said, I DID buy some Highland White Dream last year, lol. Eternal optimist, I guess - or complete idiot, lol!

:)
    Dee

• all_bout_flowers
    14 years ago

My daisies also flop over after I pick them, I think I have the Alaska ones. I have tried picking them in the morning, in the pm and using hydrant. I'd throw them over the fence if they weren't so big and it's nice to have white for the 4th of July bouquets. So when should I pick them?

• backyardgrown
    14 years ago

Bluestone Perennials has the plants, but they aren't available until Fall.

I'm going to pick up a few of those to see how they stack up to the Alaska shastas I planted this year from plugs.

I'm hoping the ones I planted bloom next year, because I'm really ready to kick my cut flower business into high gear!

Here is a link that might be useful: Bluestone Perennials

• teresa_b
    14 years ago

Thank you backyardgrown,

I have a local nursery that may carry these in the Fall so now I have a back up plan with Bluestone.

Teresa

Sponsored
Century Stair Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
DC Metro Area Luxury Custom Staircase & Railing Professional