Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenerzone4

Best and biggest zinnias for cutting

gardenerzone4
12 years ago

Please recommend some tall zinnia varieties that have huge double flowers for cutting. I've grown Benary's Giants in the past but curiously, they never got more than 3" wide for me.

Next year, I'm thinking of trying some hybrids to see if I can get giant double flowers. If you have experience with these or any others, please recommend and let me know how big they get.

Uproar Rose

Burpee's Big Red

Zowie

Burpee's Tetra or Giant Mix

Comments (14)

• bfff_tx
    12 years ago

This pic is of a Benary's Giant.

{{gwi:625481}}

• gardenerzone4
    Original Author
    12 years ago

That is HUGE! I would be head over heels if I got a zinnia that big. What am I doing wrong? I planted Benary's Giant seeds from Territorial Seed and Park's Pick's, which is supposed to be a private label of Benary's Giants. Both maxed out at 3", maybe 3.5" for the main central flower. And that's in good soil with compost and 8" spacings. Bfff, where did you get your Benary Giant seeds?

• gardenerzone4
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Anyone else, please chime in if you know of a place where I can buy Benary's Giant Zinnia seeds that dependably result in giant flowers. I refuse to accept that I cannot grow giant zinnias! :-) It's now become a mission...

• bfff_tx
    12 years ago

I got this years crop from GEO Seed. www.geoseed.com
    I have in the past, had similar experiences to you with a lack of size. This year I've added Mushroon Compost (18 wheeler load) to my sandy soil and a blend of synthetic fertilisers to each row. The results have been phenomenal. I plant my Zinnias on 9" - 12" centers and normally pinch out that first bud for better branching.
    Cheers Kim - BFFF

• grannymarsh
    12 years ago

for the best stems and largest flowers, I have to pinch off the side shoots.

• boston3381
    12 years ago

gardenerzone4 where have you been getting your seed from??
    have you tryed johnnyseeds?

on a side note i been told:
    "NOT WHAT YOU GROW, BUT HOW YOU GROW."

• mantis__oh
    12 years ago

I've had the same frustration and have found that the Benary mixtures can vary a lot in terms of colors. From a couple of sources, I got only purples and pinks.

Here is a picture of a Burpeanna zinnia from a Walmart pack. It is a first flower, and thus larger, but has been very free flowering.
    {{gwi:20276}}

• gardenerzone4
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I got my seeds from Territorial Seed and Park's. Haven't tried Johnny's yet. I'm growing in very good conditions, actually, all organic with lots of compost and mulch, adequate spacing (8"), and soaker irrigation. The plants look very healthy, just the flowers don't get much bigger than 3", and aren't as double--maybe 2 rows of petals instead of the dahlia look. I only cut for my home, so it didn't really bother me until I went to a local mall a few years ago and saw giant zinnias growing on their grounds. These flowers were 5-6" big easy, and I was so jealous! I should have asked what type and where bought and maybe to take seeds from them, but neglected to do so.

• marthacr
    12 years ago

Are you using fertilizer as well as compost? Many people forget that compost is not really a fertilizer, merely a soil conditioner. Many growers fertilize every 2-4 weeks with both foliar and granular (organic if you so choose) fertilizer.

• budb
    12 years ago

I have direct seeded Benary's Giants for several years.
    Due to a huge seed price increase by Benary's, I trialed
    Giant Dahlia Flowered Zinnias from Geo and Johnnys and was
    really pleased with the results. Other than a few singles,
    there is very little difference.
    Bud

• l_james
    12 years ago

I've gotten my seed from Johnny's before and was satisfied.
    Some of the zinias actually grew to be 7'4" tall. I measured them with a tape measure.
    Jung's has a line of giant zinnias also which is similar to Benary's Giants.

• flower_farmer
    12 years ago

There is a big difference between Benary's and Giant Dahlia flowered zinnias. Benary's actually look like a dahlia. The other not so much. Too much fertilizer makes them lanky, and they don't hold up as well as far as vase life. Also, zinnias should be transferred into very cold water after harvesting. Buckets of water should be kept in the cooler. Water directly from the hose isn't cold enough.

• paveggie
    12 years ago

Benary's should be an exclusive production of some sort, so all the seed companies are purchasing from the same source.

Flower size variation then varies according to growing conditions as boston3881 notes.

• koszta_kid
    12 years ago

I want to plant more zinnias. They bloom most of the year. And wanted some taller ones. But nice to see the taller ones. Have bought from Johnny in past. Was busy working painting house. So will have to request a catalog. I want to take cut flowers to church to share.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting