Return to the Cutting Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cutting Cosmos as Colored Buds - Bad Idea?

Posted by thinman Z5 MI (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 31, 09 at 9:01

I have recently been trying to get more vase life out of cosmos by cutting it as colored, just barely opening buds. They generally open the next day in the vase, and I have been selling them this way for the last two weeks.

I have a bouquet at home that didn't sell on Saturday, and the cosmos in it is already looking almost shot, dropping pollen all over and one has totally wilted. Have I been doing the wrong thing by trying to cut it early?

There may be something else going on in the vase, as two snaps are also drooping, and the bachelor buttons are looking old already. The bouquet was made up Friday night and is in plain water.

I may have to give free bouquets to some customers this week.

Do any of you cut cosmos in the bud stage?

ThinMan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cutting Cosmos as Colored Buds - Bad Idea?

Yes, I cut cosmos in bud stage because if you don't they will not last long. I would try them in plain water by themselves, maybe the snaps or bachelor's buttons are doing something.

o

Thanks, all bout. I've been continuing to cut them in the bud stage and they have been doing fine and playing well with others. I think that one vase got contaminated somehow and it was just a coincidence that it happened just as I was starting to cut the cosmos as buds.

I appreciate your taking the time to answer.

ThinMan

o

ThinMan, (and others!) when you cut, how many buds do you usually have on the stem, and how many of them open in the vase? My fear is always that I will cut then with buds and most of the buds won't open. Do you usually have at least one already-opened bloom on the stem?

:)
Dee

o

I have been cutting them when the bud has become pointed. At least half of these open the next day, and the rest by the following day. Usually, the rest of the buds on the stem are more immature and I often clip a lot of those off. I don't know how immature a bud can be and still open in the vase, but I think it would need to be at least showing color.

ThinMan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cutting Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here