Return to the Cutting Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
preparing very weedy area for next year's cutting garden

Posted by nancy0903 ny 06 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 26, 14 at 11:20

This year because of a host of unfortunate events and subsequent inability to face the mess, my cutting garden which had been amended each year to have pretty decent soil, became a weed bed. I have already accepted that I will not be able to allow self seeding annuals to do their thing because i need to take drastic measures. I have begun seed collecting. But all season the weeds have been seeding and will, no doubt, flourish this spring unless I do something. After the flowers are thru this fall, how can I amend the bed to prevent weedy mess next spring and replenish some of the nutrients. Can I pull weeds, do some lasagna newspaper layering and put more compost?? Any ideas are appreciated. thanks, nancy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: preparing very weedy area for next year's cutting garden

• Posted by dbarron Z6/7 (Oklahoma) (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 26, 14 at 11:26

Pull weeds, mow, and/or solarize with black plastic to sterilize soil.

Certainly any mulch will help...but mulch will also impede germination of annuals.

o

Thanks. To solarize do I place plastic down in fall and remove early spring??

o

• Posted by dbarron Z6/7 (Oklahoma) (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 26, 14 at 12:48

Well the point is to get the ground hot for a fairly long period of time (which *may* be bad for microflora of soil, I don't know)..but appropriately, you should do this in the right season...I'd do it now.
Consequently, you would need to mow everything down first and water well before putting down the plastic. If it gets hot enough, it'll cook your weed seeds.

If you want to do this, I'd advise you post and ask other people's opinions. I have never done it..but I read about it in school and the theory is sound (the practice..I dunno).

If nothing else, it might be a good gardening experiment, if you're up for it.

o

Thanks. I'll look into it.

o

I would suggest using cardboard with mulch on top. Put it down now and it will smother/kill everything until it degrades next summer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cutting Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here