Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sherri1_gw

Floppy Sunflower Stems

sherri1
18 years ago

Can anyone guess what might be wrong w/my suns? The stems are weak and floppy, and the flowers themselves seem more fragile than usual.

This is mainly happening w/one variety-Eversun. We grew this variety last fall and this past spring w/great success. We are wondering if perhaps it is the horrendously hot weather we are having, although it seems doubtful to me since suns usually thrive this time of the yr in Tx. But, the flowers are opening much quicker than usual and this is almost certainly due to heat. I also wondered if it could be too much nitrogen. We did use more fertilizer w/these plantings, but it was an organic fertilizer w/ a low N content. The plants are not extra large w/smaller flowers ,which I understand would indicate too much N. One other possibility-these suns were all transplanted. We were careful to transplant in a timely manner, but I am concerned that maybe this variety cannot tolerate being transplanted.

Anyway.....Any advice will be greatly aprreciated!

Sherri

Comments (6)

• pitimpinai
    18 years ago

Thanks for posting this question. I am having problem with my Sunflower too. I didn't know which Sunflower would be best for cut flower so I planted several kinds. I am very disorganized so didn't keep track of which is which. Anyhow, most of them have floppy and weak stems even though they all have long stems that I want.

I wonder which Sunflowers have bright flower with medium yellow or brown disc and strong stem and good for cutting. I would like to try those next year. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

I won't compete with your business. I grow flowers for use at a temple, not for the market.
    Thank you.

• chris_canada
    18 years ago

Hi Sherri,

Eversun has been our main sunflower for several years now. How floppy are your stems, anyway? Eversun stems are normally like tree trunks, but we have noticed a slight tendency towards floppiness and flower fragility in heat and drought conditions compared to some of our other sunflowers. Heat and drought in Texas probably put our heat and drought to shame. We try to take a bit more care with irrigation on Eversuns. We've also never transplanted them. Our guess would be that it's a combination of those two factors.
    We don't use fertilizer, but we do till in a lot of mushroom manure, which does have some nutrients.
    Good luck in solving your problem. We still think Eversuns are just awesome, with the flower size, shape, and normal lasting qualities.

Chris

• sherri1
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Chris,

Thanks for your reply. The stems are pretty darn weak. Often if they appear to be o.k. at harvest, they will bend and twist w/in a few hours post harvest. It is ironic, because the only complaint we had w/this flower in the spring was that a lot of the stems were too thick! We were having problems w/germination from direct seeding and as a result we had uneven spacing. We were hoping that transplanting would help w/stem size since we would have more uniform spacing. It just goes to show you don't really know a variety until you have experienced it in all possible circumstances. I truly hope the problem is more the heat than the transplanting, because we have about 15,000 more plants in the field. They should mature when the weather is a little cooler here. I definetely agree, they are the prettiest variety we've grown. We are heartbroken to be having this current problem w/them.

Pitimpinai, as you can see-I have not yet found the perfect variety. Eversun is a truly beautiful sunflower, and since you probably don't have to worry about the horrendous heat we have here, it would probably be a good variety for you. Do you normally direct seed your suns? Another good variety for the traditional look is Sunrich Orange. Sunbright is a very hardy variety, it does have shorter petals, however, and I personally prefer the longer petal look. I also strongly recommend Sunrich Gold. Sunrich Gold has a yellow/green center and is a very hardy plant.

Sherri

• Jeanne_in_Idaho
    18 years ago

ALL of my sunflowers are transplanted, including Eversun, and I don't think that has had an effect on stem strength. From what I've gleaned from this forum and other local growers, my sunflowers' stems are perfectly normal, floppy on the floppy varieties and strong on the strong varieties. Eversuns are TREES. I transplant at seedling age of 3-4 weeks, ideally, but some have been as late as 5 or 6 weeks and did fine with that. I haven't tried holding the superfast varieties (ProCuts, Premier Light Yellow) that long, but goodness knows Eversun isn't superfast! We haven't had any horrible hot spells but I irrigate so frequently, it wouldn't really be an issue. My guess is that your weather caused it.

pitimpinai, you might want to try the ProCuts - and Eversun!

Jeanne

• flowerfarmer
    18 years ago

Our experience has been floppy stems have nothing to do with the weather. Generally, we have found sunflowers to be heavy feeders and must be planted in fertile soil. We try not planting sunflowers in the same section two seasons in a row before we have time to rebuild the soil primarily with green manure crops.

It has been an extremely hot and humid season for us growers in Michigan. We haven't noted floppy stems; however, we have dealt with our share of thrips, Japanese beetles, aphids, leafhoppers and other such pests. This is the first season we find that we must cut flowers before they open. Otherwise, the petals get chewed. In previous seasons, we haven't had this problem.

BTW -- We don't transplant any sunflowers. They are all direct seeded.

Just curious how one might work a tree into an arrangement.

Our customers don't want the large sunflowers. This may be regional; however, if you look in many of the decorating magazines, Sunbright is always the sunflower featured. If we're taking 20 buckets of Sunbright to market, and bringing home two bunches, we're guessing we must be doing something right. It's always a hard call trying to figure what the customers are going to want each season. Many, many vendors sell sunflowers and zinnias at our markets. We charge more for our sunflowers; however, it's our belief that it has everything to do with marketing and display.

• pitimpinai
    18 years ago

Jeanne, where do I find ProCuts & Eversun? I googled them but came up with zilch. I grow only a few- just enough for a few arrangements a week, not commercially, though.

Thanks.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus