Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pudge2b

Do Marigolds make good cuts?

Pudge 2b
17 years ago

My neighbor has beautiful crackerjacks at the moment, tons of them, and has graciously offered some to me for cuts to sell.

But I've never tested a marigold as a cut flower. Do they hold up a long time? It's only the foliage that smells, right? The flower (to me) seems to have very little smell. Do the customers care for them? I'd try some in mixed bouquets for this weekend if I knew they had good vase life.

Thanks

Comments (9)

• Patty_WI
    17 years ago

Yes, the marigolds do make good cuts. Cold coin is sold as a cut variety because it gets so tall and has nice big heads. I am trying the sentless variety Promise this year, but they take longer from sow to bloom. The foliage so far does not have the sent. Can't wait for the flowers.

I would rather not have to deal with the smelly variety, but right now am using them in my mixed. I especally like them with bells of ireland and tetra white feverfew or with bright colored zins and solidago and agastache (another smelly one to my nose) for a cute tussie mussie.

Patty

• flowers4u
    17 years ago

I too have used them, but mine didn't germinate this year...the seeds must have gone bad, so I don't have them this year! I used African marigolds - both orange and yellow and love them too! They also work with tithonia and purple statice, along with the items Patty mentioned.
    Wendy

• Pudge 2b
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you. I made up just a few bouquets with the marigolds, purple statice and some sprigs of white blooming tall sedum (which has a lime green hue). We'll see what the customers think, I guess.

• honeybunny442
    17 years ago

I had a Spanish speaking woman want to buy an arrangement but she wanted me to take out the marigolds. With my limited Spanish, I don't know why. It was for a present.

• flowerfarmer
    17 years ago

No Mexicans in Wisconsin?

In Mexico marigolds are the flowers used on the Feast of The Day of the Dead which is a celebration held on November 2. Traditionally they celebrate life and honor their deceased families.

Here is a link that might be useful: Day of the Dead

• limequilla
    17 years ago

Pudge, how did they sell?

Lime

• Pudge 2b
    Original Author
    17 years ago

They didn't sell. No one commented good or bad - just passed them over for the other bouquets. I noticed the other vendor had a few marigolds as well, also didn't sell. It's a bedding plant of choice around here, along with petunias. Perhaps customers see enough of them outdoors, and they don't want to look at them inside as well.

• limequilla
    17 years ago

Oh, I'm sorry they didn't sell.

The smell of marigolds -- they might be starting to grow on me, but generally I don't think they smell good. I would love to see what other people do with them to make them work in a mixed bouquet.

It's interesting, though, what sells one week won't the next and visa versa.

Lime

• hollyhocker_123
    17 years ago

How funny! I've always loved marigolds. They were the first plants. I remember as a child. Going to the farm with my dad. Those and petunias were the first flowers I remember. The smell of petunias brings it back to me!!! I also by the way love the smell of marigolds!!!

Anyway when I was a teenager. This neighbor lady grew a bed of the tall marigolds. Had only seen the small bedding ones. I still remember to me how beautiful the bed looked. I'm not a grower/seller. Though I have a small garden. I've used marigold's in arrangements at home and work. I can't understand why people don't like them. To me their real backbone flowers. Very versatile:)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH