Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fundybayfarm

Cherokee sunset question

Fundybayfarm
17 years ago

Hello all, hope you are having a good season, and hopefully you are getting the rain you need.

I have heard many of you on the forum talk about cherokee sunset rudbeckias. I tried them this year, and must admit they are gorgeous for fall colored bouquets. I don't have really long stems, but it works into my bouquets just fine. They are not 24" stems though, as stated in the catalog. The BIG problem is it wilts very fast. Like in a day or two, but then some of the stems last longer. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or what? Any suggestions, and how long does it last for you? Do you do any special conditioning for these? Thanks for your help.

Cheryl

Comments (4)

• bfff_tx
    17 years ago

Cheryl
    I found it's best to cut them, very late in the day and cut them slightly immature and let them open in preservative. I had the same problems last year that you're having now. It was trial and error.
    This year I'm using Chrysal's Prof 2 Solution for hydrating purposes. It's wonderful stuff but haven't tried it with the Rudbeckia's this year, coz my crop is somewhat of a failure. Oh well. Also remember that Rudbeckia's are long day plants and that's probably what's affecting your stem length. I guess you could give em a shot of Nitrogen and see what happens.
    Cheers - Kim
    Billabong Fresh Flower Farm

• Fundybayfarm
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Kim,
    Thanks for your input. I did fertilize but perhaps they needed an extra shot. I'll try picking less mature like you suggested, and later in the day. I usually cut while it's cooler in the monring as after things dry off a bit. I used them in our exhibition, and one 1st place, but the next day they were all wilted. That was embarassing. I had to replace all the flowers in it.
    Cheryl

• Jeanne_in_Idaho
    17 years ago

That IS embarassing! Poor you!

The problem I've had with ALL rudbeckias is wilting right after cutting. They get over it but their stems re-stiffen in the wilted position, so I pack them tightly into a tall bucket when harvesting, so they hold each other up, then let them condition in that same bucket overnight. At that point, they're okay and last at least a week (for Cherokee Sunset and other doubles) and two to three weeks for the single types. I harvest into my homemade conditioner recipe. Maybe they'd be okay in water, too, I just haven't tried it. My customers usually got similar results with the Floralife Crystal Clear I handed out.

I've found the plants like less food rather than more - they get diseased here if I feed them well. That's probably a local climate problem, though.

Jeanne

• Fundybayfarm
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks Jeanne. It's funny how some of them seem to hold up and some wilt in a day or two. I'll let them sit longer in the conditioner and see what happens.
    Cheryl

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner