Return to the Cutting Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cutting calendula?

Posted by DiggerDee z6 CT (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 4, 05 at 17:03

I have a new cutting garden this year and have calendulas for the first time. I can't seem to get them to survive in the vase. I cut them in the morning, put them in water with preservative and condition them in an air-conditioned room, and then arrange, (again, in water with preservative) but they don't seem to last more than a day. Some even die before they fully open.

Any tips?

Thanks!
:)
Dee

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cutting calendula?

Dee,
First of all, I find that to have them last at all, they need to be fully open, but to have JUST opened. And even then, you don't get the vase life of a zinnia or aster. I don't use them very often, even though they are orgeous flowers, and easily re-seed themselves all over the place. I mainly just use them in our exhibiton where they don't have to last more than 4 days.
Cheryl

o

Hydrating solution is essential for this one. And, did ya all read about the sugar pulse solution for flowers?

o

Thanks, guys. Funny, the reason I included calendulas in the garden is because I read that they have a long vase life. Sounds like it's kind of tricky to cut these at just the right time. I'm not sure I'm ready to do hydrating solution just yet. Don't know if I'm ready to have several buckets full of different solutions to swap out and so forth. Maybe next year, after I get a bit more accustomed to the routine of cutting, etc.

Thanks so much for your help!
:)
Dee

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cutting Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here