Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ekgrows

What do you all do with pink?

ekgrows
14 years ago

Pink is my problem color. I have never really cared for pink, so that may be a big part of my problem. When ever I go out and harvest flowers, the pink ones are always the last to make it into a bouquet - I have problems pairing it with other colors - or making it into a bouquet that has a lot of WOW to it!

What do you all do with pink? If any body has any ideas, I would be extremely grateful.

Thanks!

Comments (11)

• Pudge 2b
    14 years ago

I love pretty much any shade of pink with yellow (pastel or clear yellow, not gold) and add burgundy foliage ( I use amaranthus) for nice contrast.

Soft pink with white is always a classic. Add green foliage for filler. Or burgundy works well here, too.

• tommyk
    14 years ago

Pink colored flowers are fine if you mix them with other colors.

I've even made up bouquets with mostly pink-colored flowers as long as you have a contrasting color such as white or even green foliage to break it up a bit.

The old adage of "the eye is in the beholder" is very true in regards to colors in bouquets.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    14 years ago

Ooh, I love pink! I mix it mostly with purples/blues, with some whites thrown in. Sometimes some yellows, but not usually. And of course, with other shades of pink!

I just made a bouquet this morning of pink phlox, a pink phlox with a white eye, a lavender phlox, some dark purple and light purple gladiolus, white gladiolus (with just a touch of purple in the throats), zinnias in shades of purple and pink, a few small pink dahlias, agastache, pale purple hosta blooms, and some euphorbia marginata. Just waiting on the pink and white lilies now....

:)
    Dee

• steve22802
    14 years ago

I have trouble with pink too, especially pale pink. I'm ok with deep blush pink or neon pink but the lighter shades don't look right to me, they look washed out I think. Light pink works fine with white and green of course but it's not eye catching. I've had some success pairing it with purple but mostly I just stay away from light pink. Can anyone post pictures of bouquets using light pink as a significant element?

• ekgrows
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks to all for suggestions. And Steve - glad to hear I am not the only one with this problem! It seems I get stuck with my favorite color combinations, so of course I make those arrangements first. However, this time I made a point to use my pink flowers first and came up with 2 really pretty bouquets!

Thankfully, my lime or envy zinnias just started coming in, and I found that I actually DO like pink with green!!! I guess I am not alone, because a woman walked up, pointed at it, and said "Yes - how much?" It's always so validating when others find your creations as beautiful as you do!

I have attached a link to some pictures of my bouquets. The pink and green is the last pic in the first post. Forgive the pink bucket it is in - that is where we keep sold bouquets until customers come back to pick them up :)

Thanks again for the suggestions. I think I just got "un-stuck" with pink as long as I have my chartreuse zinnias!

Here is a link that might be useful: bouquet pictures

• teresa_b
    14 years ago

Loved your photos ekgrows. My favorite color is pink so I am entirely your opposite. It looks great with every shade of blue in my larkspurs, delphiniums, aegeratums, scabiosa, etc. For white, I like white cosmos and I grow quite a few pink cosmos and zinnias.

My two favorite fillers this year were bells of ireland and euphorbia (snow on the mountain). Actually, I also liked orlaya (white) and plan to do some fall sowing to see if I can get longer stems. We had such an unusually cold and wet Spring, I am unsure if the stem length was the norm.

Teresa

• oilpainter
    14 years ago

elkgrows;
    Of course pink goes with green they are complimentary colors. Take it from an artist. Pink also goes with any color that contains red, but you also need light and dark, so pair pink with deep colors, like burgandy, dark purple and deep and pale blue and add some greenery. While blue is a primary color like red, it does go with pink

• teresa_b
    13 years ago

I am floating up this post from last year as there were some great comments on using the color pink.

My dilemma? Right now, I am inundated with blue, white and some yellow. I could use some pink but am stumped as to what could be blooming now in pink. This is a tough time of year for me before the zinnias and cosmos bloom.

Teresa

• queenbee_1
    13 years ago

I love pink and have tons of it in almost every variety! I use pink w/ purple/lavenders/blues and yellows.. If I have deep pinks, I will use the same hue of those colors..Dark purple, hot pinks and bright yellow add glossy green and it works.. If I have pale pink, I will use lavender,pale yellow and silvery color leaves works. Try using all pink--bright pink dahlias,pale pink lilies and a pale pink rose.. use lime green leaves... OR use all one flower, one color pink for a classic look..

• prairiegirlz5
    13 years ago

Teresa~What about snaps (antirrhinum) and dianthus for early pink color?

• teresa_b
    13 years ago

Thanks prairiegirlz for the idea on snaps! I love em'.

My dianthus are blooming now but just started so I would have to see how to get them to bloom earlier.

Teresa

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living