Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tsflowers_gw

Another sunflower question.

tsflowers
18 years ago

I saw a post somewhere about Pro Cut sunflowers. I did some search on them and in trials I guess they performed very well. Wondering if anyone knows how much the seed costs a where you can get it. Also, how large in diameter are these sunflowers and what color are they?

Besides those, what are other good single stem variety sunflowers?

I see I've made the mistake of growing the multi-branching varieties. However, I did grow Sorya and it has held up very well. And I like its size.

T

Comments (11)

• Jeanne_in_Idaho
    18 years ago

ProCuts are available in peach, lemon, orange, and a bicolor. You can get them in several places, but Johnnie's and Harris are probably the easiest. Not every company has all the colors. They are not cheap.

Growing branching sunflowers isn't necessarily a mistake. I grow single-head and branching types and find both to be useful.

Johnnie's and Harris both carry quite a few other single-stem varieties.

Jeanne

• tsflowers
    Original Author
    18 years ago

thanks Jeanne for your response. I grow Lemon Aura and just love it, but although they look lovely in a vase, the flower heads always tend to droop even though the flowers themselves stay nice a long time.

Actually Germania Seed Co. carries the pro-cuts but I haven't yet compared the price with Johnnie's and Harris.

T

• Jeanne_in_Idaho
    18 years ago

I get a lot of my seed from Germania, but didn't give you their name because I didn't know whether you buy in large amounts. The nice thing about Johnnie's and Harris is that they both sell hobby amounts as well as commercial. Sometimes I get a hobby amount at first to try things out before committing to a commercial amount.

Jeanne

• flowerfarmer
    18 years ago

Germania does not have a minimum order requirement. They appreciate and welcome all orders of any size. Their minimum price for each packet is quite low. The thing we really like about Germania is that orders phoned in one day, are in our hands the next. This is either UPS ground or regular mail. This is what you probably have or will experience with them Ts as you are in Indiana.

Depending on your spacing, the flower heads range 4-6." We plant 6" apart because we like to use the smaller flower heads (4") in our country bouquets.

• paulmd
    18 years ago

Grew Sunbright supreme for the first time this year, also this is the first time I have grown sunflowers. They were much taller than the catalogue stated but they looked great. Bought them from Ivy Garth Seeds (Great company). One question: What is the easiest way to clear your beds of the remaining stalks? They are almost bamboo-like at the base and will not pull easy from the soil.

Paul

• kristenmarie
    18 years ago

I grew Sunbright last year-- it was great-- I am really missing it this year. :( I don't know how I ended up without seed...

Kristen

• flowerfarmer
    18 years ago

What is the easiest way to clear your beds of the remaining stalks? They are almost bamboo-like at the base and will not pull easy from the soil.

They are a pain, aren't they? Brush hog and disc them in.

• rita2004
    18 years ago

Paul,
    I too thought that the stalks were awful to get out but I have found if you are not in a big hurry to replant the beds, leave the stalks sit for a couple of weeks and they pull out so much easier. I don't have a brush hog or disc, just a tiller and it works for me.

Rita

• paulmd
    18 years ago

Thanks for the advise.

Paul

• anniew
    18 years ago

If you buy sunflowers from Germania, they have a great special (last two years anyway) in the winter on their prices. They come in 1000 and 10000 lots, if I remember correctly. But for the savings, if you do succession planting, and/or can use 1000 or 10000 over a two year period, the seed holds up well.
    Ann

• tsflowers
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the info Ann
    T

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner