Return to the Cutting Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help/Advice with Marketing Flowers

Posted by wynative z5 WY (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 25, 12 at 22:23

I posted this in another forum and was told about this one.

I love growing flowers and am currently helping a lady that markets her vegetables (I am just a picker and help package, she does all the selling). She mentioned to me that where she markets there are no flower sellers (2 different locations) and as she is on the committee she said that she and the other's would love to have me do this.

I have not ever had a serious business - just some craft fairs. I have lots of ground, water and time for growing flowers : ) My idea is just forming of growing Tulips, Iris, Lilies and many others to sell. I would like to have some small seedlings in the spring and then fresh cut flowers throughout the summer. I have seen this done in Denver, CO and they seem to do well. I would be marketing in SE Wyoming and Northern Colorado.

Do any of you do this, have done this or know someone that does that can give me advice on everything? Any advice/help would be great!

I was thinking of names for my new business and Fantasy Flowers came to mind. It is my fantasy to make a living off of flowers and making other smile : ) But on a drive today I saw an old VW bus/van and "Petal Pusher" popped in - maybe I could find a VW and paint it with crazy flowers from the 60's LOL

Thanks in advance!
Marie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help/Advice with Marketing Flowers

Marie, the best advice I can give is to first buy Lynn Byczynski's book The Flower Farmer if you haven't already. A lot of what you will need to know is in there. Another good book for reference is Specialty Cut Flowers, by Armitage and Laushman.

Second, keep in mind that you don't have to jump into it whole hog the first year. You can start small and grow bigger each year. At least that worked for me. Though I made very little money the first couple of years, I learned a lot.

Third, work hard on a planting plan. This is the hardest part for a lot of us. You don't want to find yourself in early August having run out of one planting of something, say bachelor buttons, without another planting ready to harvest. It's better to have some go to waste because you couldn't sell them all, than to not have them to sell.

Also, read all the old posts you can in this forum. There is a LOT of great info here.

Good luck with your venture and ask questions here all you want. This forum isn't what it used to be, but most questions get answered eventually.

ThinMan

o
RE: Help/Advice with Marketing Flowers

Thinman,
Thanks so much for your advice and reply : ) I am just in the thinking/planning stage of this venture & don't even have a hot house for seedlings yet but will get those books for sure!

I have a few flower beds for personal use but they are to small to really plan on using them for resale. I can keep friends and family in nice bouquets for most of the summer though.

My plan (I think) is to start out with about 5 or so different colors of each flower type I decide on and 50 to 100 of each plant, just to make sure that I get a good turn out of blooms. Winter kill can be a problem here some years and munching pests are in the summer, so I think this will be a good start.

Marie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cutting Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here