Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tbipp

Champion Series 'Cup and Saucer'

teresa_b
14 years ago

Hello All,

I am hoping some of those more experienced than I can answer a few questions.

Will the Champion series of cup and saucer campanula bloom in year 2 after overwintering if it blooms in year 1 (the year it was planted)?

If it does not bloom in year 1, will it overwinter and bloom in year 2?

Thanks,

Teresa

Comments (7)

• l_james
    14 years ago

I'm pretty sure once it blooms that's all you get.
    Thats the way mine was. One of the best cut flowers but it was only a biannual.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    14 years ago

Teresa, your question got me stumped, lol! I thought this plant was an annual, so I was going to answer your questions with a "no" (and a disclaimer that I am very new to this plant and additionally, haven't had much luck at all growing it!)

But I did a quick google search before answering, and now I see that it is a biennial, but has a good chance of flowering first year. So now I am truly curious as to the answer of both of your questions...

And I sure would be happy if I could get it to grow. It seems to be near impossible to find seed, and then once I finally find it, they won't grow for me!

:)
    Dee

• teresa_b
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Diggerdee,

I direct sowed some seeds and winter sowed other seeds in a 9 x 13 disposable aluminum pan (holes punched in bottom and plastic lid on top also punched). The winter sowed seeds in the 9 x 13 did fabulous. After they were a good size, I moved into my cutting garden. My problem is that the plants next to them grew much faster and shaded them out so some have not bloomed. As they have developed small blooms, I have trimmed them off hoping they would come back next year with them being biannuals. I just ordered some other seeds to start now in peat pots and plant out in September to see if that works.

Teresa

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    14 years ago

Teresa, I WSed my seeds also. Last year I tried the Champion Blue and got pretty much no germination. This year I tried the Pink, and got decent germination. The problem this year was our wet, cold spring. Like almost every other annual and vegetable I started from seed, the campanulas just didn't take off very well.

I did plant them out, and to be honest, completely forgot about them until I saw this little pink cup in the garden. They were about 8 inches tall and blooming, lol! Obviously not cuttable, but I will let them go to seed and see if they volunteer.

I will try again next year. Can you tell me where you buy your seed?

Thanks!
    Dee

• teresa_b
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Dee,

I am not recalling exactly at the moment but I am fairly certain my cup and saucer seeds were from GeoSeeds. If not GeoSeeds, it would have been Johnny's. GeoSeeds states they get about 4 feet tall! I went with mixed colors. Mine did not get nearly that tall as they were shaded too much and became wimpy.

Teresa

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    14 years ago

Thanks Teresa! I'll check out GeoSeeds. I'm pretty sure Johnny's doesn't - or at least didn't - carry them because I buy from Johnny's all the time and I didn't see them there. I'll look into GeoSeeds though. Thanks so much - and I hope someone can answer your questions more conclusively!

Dee

• Fundybayfarm
    14 years ago

I'm not sure what series cup and saucer I have, but it's definitely a biennial. Once you get them going and blooming in the 2nd year, you always have them, they re-seed themselves very easily. Not all flowers have the saucer, but the are huge blooms and very impressive in bouquets. I get very few pink, mostly purple, lavender and some white. This spring the earwigs found them to be quite cozy.
    Cheryl