Return to the Cutting Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
trials for next year and Pollen Free Sunflowers

Posted by nana8 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 3, 13 at 0:51

In the Spring I planted some Bupleurium from seed indoors. The germination was poor to start then I went on vacation. Only one plant survived my neglect. But it was healthy and grew well outdoors. Has anyone else tried this? Is the germ always poor? Also, next year I want to try some Dianthus Green Trick, and Blue Diamond Limonium. Has anyone had any sucess with these?
Also this Spring I planted 4 varities of Pollenfree Sunflowers from Harris Seed. Do you think these will come true if I save some seed,? or should I just let all the finches eat the seed.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: trials for next year and Pollen Free Sunflowers

• Posted by pudge 2/3 Sask (My Page) on
    Sat, Oct 26, 13 at 20:41

Bupleurum has the potential to seed out to almost weed-like proportions so I suspect this would be a very good candidate for direct fall sowing or an early direct spring sowing. Be sure to save seeds or allow them to self-sow, you'll never have to buy these seeds again :)

For an earlier limey-greeny-yellow, I always liked Lady's Mantle. The blooms smell so wonderfully fresh and have that nice frothy look. In my climate they always bloom along with peonies.

No doubt too late for your sunflower question but hybrid sunflowers do not produce viable seed.

I've not grown Blue Diamond Limonium but do grow regular Sea Lavender. It's an easy, never fail perennial that gets bigger and bigger each year. I don't care for the smell of the foiage or blooms, I find it kind of stinks. Dried stems lose that smell.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cutting Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here