Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fundybayfarm

Crocosmia/yellow, orange?

Fundybayfarm
18 years ago

Hi All,

I grew the red crocosmia, Lucifer, this year, and found it quite uselful. I'm hoping that with straw over the top, it comes back next year. I was just wondering if any of you grow the 2 other colors it comes in? If so, how is the performance as far as lasting flowers and stem height? Thanks for your information.

Cheryl

Comments (8)

• flowerfarmer
    18 years ago

'Emily McKenzie' (orange), and 'Norwich Canary' (yellow) grow to a height of 24-30 inches. Winter mulching is recommended. These two don't do well here with our Michigan winters.

'Lucifer,' which grows to a height of 36-42 inches, is the hardiest of the genus; and, it is the Crocosmia we grow. We also use the pods in arrangements on this one.

• flowers4u
    18 years ago

I grow Lucifer and Emily McKenzie and haven't mulched them at all...and they have come back very nicely! I love them, and so do customers - in plain bunches! I sold 10-stem bunches of Lucifer for $5.00!

However, I made the mistake and cut too many at once and actually couldn't sell them all, so now know to leave some for the pods for next year... :( or :)
    The Emily McKenzie looks great with Rudbeckia in vases and also with lime nicotiana and purple larkspur!
    The foliage also works well too for a different look!
    Good luck,
    Wendy

• Noni Morrison
    18 years ago

Even here where the climate is very mild we sometimes loose crocosmia over the winter. One never knows whether it will come through just fine or disappear. This year I had masses of Lucifer but they all bloomed at once. I keep trying to get more of the other colors but they don't produce anywhere nearly as much. For me they seem to go on a 3 yr cycle...make an overwhelming mass of flowers, divide them, have almost no flowers, then back in 3 yrs to the mass that needs dividing! I bought 7 different crocomias from Heronswood this year so will see what they do. One was definitely a standout in a bigger blossom and showier bloom in a bright yellow orange. I hope it makes it through the winter and multiplies!

• Fundybayfarm
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for all your advise, it's much appreciated. I knew it would be an iffy flower for zone 5, but I'm hoping that straw mulch will make the difference. Thanks again,
    Cheryl

• honeybunny442
    18 years ago

I too grew Crocosmia this year- the first time for me. Of course I bought the cheapest bulbs, and many of them did not come up. LOL What about digging and storing the bulbs over the winter? Will that work?

• Fundybayfarm
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I'm sure it would work, but I hate to do it if I can just mulch them. All these things that are labor intensive, you don't make as much money on, or have to charge accordingly. As it is, I have to dig glads and dahlias, and would prefer not to add something else to the list. I think straw will do the trick.
    Cheryl

• mr_crocosmia
    16 years ago

Other 2 colours in comes in..........

I have 270 varieties and believe me in comes in many colours!!

You should visit my website some time.....

Mark

Here is a link that might be useful: My Website

• paveggie
    16 years ago

Had a yellow one, 'George Davidson,' in a container this year. It bloomed but I'm sure smaller than average because of the limited space and being a new planting. Also, the spike was straight rather than branched as is 'Lucifer.' The plants are being transplanted to a mulched bed. Hope the better location will result in some larger blooms next year. I really liked what was there colorwise even if on the small side.

Cheryl, I agree that overwintering outdoors will be much more efficient than digging each Fall. Also, there's probably more of a set back each season if have to dig and store indoors.

Sponsored