Return to the Cutting Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Crocosmia/yellow, orange?

Posted by Fundybayfarm z5westernN.S. (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 7, 05 at 6:38

Hi All,
I grew the red crocosmia, Lucifer, this year, and found it quite uselful. I'm hoping that with straw over the top, it comes back next year. I was just wondering if any of you grow the 2 other colors it comes in? If so, how is the performance as far as lasting flowers and stem height? Thanks for your information.
Cheryl

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Crocosmia/yellow, orange?

'Emily McKenzie' (orange), and 'Norwich Canary' (yellow) grow to a height of 24-30 inches. Winter mulching is recommended. These two don't do well here with our Michigan winters.

'Lucifer,' which grows to a height of 36-42 inches, is the hardiest of the genus; and, it is the Crocosmia we grow. We also use the pods in arrangements on this one.

o

I grow Lucifer and Emily McKenzie and haven't mulched them at all...and they have come back very nicely! I love them, and so do customers - in plain bunches! I sold 10-stem bunches of Lucifer for $5.00!

However, I made the mistake and cut too many at once and actually couldn't sell them all, so now know to leave some for the pods for next year... :( or :)
The Emily McKenzie looks great with Rudbeckia in vases and also with lime nicotiana and purple larkspur!
The foliage also works well too for a different look!
Good luck,
Wendy

o

Even here where the climate is very mild we sometimes loose crocosmia over the winter. One never knows whether it will come through just fine or disappear. This year I had masses of Lucifer but they all bloomed at once. I keep trying to get more of the other colors but they don't produce anywhere nearly as much. For me they seem to go on a 3 yr cycle...make an overwhelming mass of flowers, divide them, have almost no flowers, then back in 3 yrs to the mass that needs dividing! I bought 7 different crocomias from Heronswood this year so will see what they do. One was definitely a standout in a bigger blossom and showier bloom in a bright yellow orange. I hope it makes it through the winter and multiplies!

o

Thanks for all your advise, it's much appreciated. I knew it would be an iffy flower for zone 5, but I'm hoping that straw mulch will make the difference. Thanks again,
Cheryl

o

I too grew Crocosmia this year- the first time for me. Of course I bought the cheapest bulbs, and many of them did not come up. LOL What about digging and storing the bulbs over the winter? Will that work?

o

I'm sure it would work, but I hate to do it if I can just mulch them. All these things that are labor intensive, you don't make as much money on, or have to charge accordingly. As it is, I have to dig glads and dahlias, and would prefer not to add something else to the list. I think straw will do the trick.
Cheryl

o

Other 2 colours in comes in..........

I have 270 varieties and believe me in comes in many colours!!

You should visit my website some time.....

Mark

Here is a link that might be useful: My Website

o

Had a yellow one, 'George Davidson,' in a container this year. It bloomed but I'm sure smaller than average because of the limited space and being a new planting. Also, the spike was straight rather than branched as is 'Lucifer.' The plants are being transplanted to a mulched bed. Hope the better location will result in some larger blooms next year. I really liked what was there colorwise even if on the small side.

Cheryl, I agree that overwintering outdoors will be much more efficient than digging each Fall. Also, there's probably more of a set back each season if have to dig and store indoors.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cutting Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here