Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thinman_gw

My dahlias were a bust. Yours?

thinman
13 years ago

I tried them for the first time this summer, and they were not good. The plants were OK, but very few blooms appeared. We've had higher heat and humidity than normal this summer, so I've been blaming it on that, but I really don't know.

How about yours?

ThinMan

Comments (9)

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    13 years ago

I was disappointed in my dahlias this year too, but I don't know if I can blame the dahlias, lol.

First of all, it was so incredibly dry and I just couldn't get out to water as much as I should have.

Secondly, I always seem to forget how late dahlias bloom! They never seem to produce blooms until September for me, so I'm always chomping at the bit for them to get going!

:)
    Dee

• thinman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Dee, I'm getting some showing up now too, though still not very many. I bought a grab-bag mix of tubers from a Michigan grower, and I don't know exactly what I have. The blooms I have seen so far are really pretty, so I'm going to hang in there with them and do another cycle next year. I'll put them in my little hoophouse as early as I can to try to get a jump on the season.

Thanks for your reply. I'm sorry yours weren't so great either, but it does make me feel a little bit better about mine.

TM

• grannymarsh
    13 years ago

Great dahlia season for me. One needs to put in cultivars labled as early bloomers. Double check with the growers that you buy the tubers from. Many of the AA size won't bloom until Sept. Waaaay too late for me. I had some dahlias to sell in July (2010) B & BB sizes mostly. Go easy on the nitrogen too.

• thinman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Grannymarsh - Thanks for the words of wisdom. I bought a grab-bag of tubers last spring at a good price, but consequently, I don't know what I have. Now I wish I had spent a little more money and bought known varieties. You live, you learn.

I wonder if your summer up there was cooler than it was down here. I live a bit south of the bridge.

TM

• deep_woods
    13 years ago

I grow cactus dahlias from seed each year and I also grow some dahlias from tubers each year. I start seeds in pots in winter and set out in late spring. Growing from seed gets a jump on tubers and flowers are earlier for seed grown dahlias.

Rick

• grannymarsh
    13 years ago

thinman: nice warm summer up here. The blooms really came on when the nights cooled off a bit. If I'm not mistaken, dahlias orginated in the highlands of Mexico, and they like the coolish evenings. As do I. BTW, we live about a mile from Lake Superior.

• all_bout_flowers
    13 years ago

I had to replant all my dahlias last year due to the strange cold/wet winter we have. The 200 or so didn't bloom until mid August and didn't perfom very good due to the multiple overcast days. The dahlias that were left in the ground from the year before bloomed earlier. They love it when the nights are cool and days are warm. I would order from someone like Swan Island if you want to grow more they also guarentee them. Here's crossing my fingers they survive until Spring in the ground.

• pitt
    13 years ago

Sounds like we were lucky with dahlias for 2010 season. I had 75 growing and they were prolific. Had lots or rain in June and then dryer July-August. Purchased from Banner FF.

Many of them were incredibly prolific. Had some mildew late in the season.

Saved some from last year and ordered 50 new for this year.

Started 25 of last year's stored ones inside last week (looked for the eyes before we planted! ; ) We have some growth 3/14.

This was a great crop for us at Farmers' Market and our florists.

• backyardgrown
    13 years ago

I grew some from seed last year and I didn't get them transplanted soon enough so they didn't get as tall as I would have liked. I'm trying again this year, but I have them in larger cells so they don't get root bound so early and I can transplant directly from the cells instead of a bigger pot.

For something that isn't reliably a perennial, I can't justify the price of the tubers. Seed is a much better option for me.

I'm going to leave them in the ground rather than dig them up this fall. If the gerbers came back there's a good chance the dahlias will too.