Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
goodscents_gw

Karma Dahlias

goodscents
18 years ago

I'm gropwing 4 Karma dahlias this year - Corona, Naomi, Lagoon and Serena - but I am getting quite different results. Corona and Naomi are prolific with long stems - wonderful! Serena is really prolific but the stems are kind of short. Lagoon so far has produced few flowers and those have been on short stems.

They are all growing side by side so I didn't think it was cultural, but I have one Serena growing in a different spot and it seems to have longer stems.

Is anyone out there (like maybe Flowerfarmer?) growing these and have any recommendations or comments?

Thanks!

Kirk

Comments (5)

• flowerfarmer
    18 years ago

Kirk,
    Serena grows to only 28" high. I didn't notice that we had much trouble with this one in the hoophouse. I'm guessing that it was around 36" for us in there. This was a really, really nice white dahlia. Lagoon is the one we also had problems with. All the other varieties produced well for us, and Lagoon was about 18" tall and blooming. This wasn't working. They were an ugly stunted plant that I just wanted to yank out of the ground. So, we talked to the grower/propagator. First of all, he says these are short plants. We did not know this because they are grown for the cutflower industry. So, we assumed they would be tall. His theory was that with the heat it was causing Lagoon and Serena to bloom on short stems -- and early because these are late blooming dahlias. Probably what you are experiencing, Kirk. The odd thing was we weren't having trouble with Serena. We both scratched our heads. His suggestion was to cut Lagoon back a little, fertilize well, and see what happens. We did just that. And, they have been producing flowers for about the last three weeks. Beautiful flowers. Most of the other dahlias in the hoophouse pretty much tired out after pumping out flowers since the first of June.

I haven't grown Corona; but, that one does get 36" high. And, Naomi gets 36-40" high. Naomi is really nice.

We loved the Karma dahlias with their long stems. They are the perfect dahlia. I have others in the field though that I am madly in love with at the moment though.

Flowerfarmer -- who is supposed to be in the field. We've been picking madly since 7 am. These are our big markets this weekend.

• pitimpinai
    18 years ago

I grow Karma Sangria. I ordered 4 from Van Borgondien and got several cuttings from the new shoots. They are growing very big. One has the main stem about 1 1/2" thick. They are between 5 and 5 1/2' tall. The stems are very long. I like them in arrangements.

Would you please post pics of your other Karma? I wonder if they are prettier than those in catalogs.
    {{gwi:347556}}

{{gwi:626177}}

• Fundybayfarm
    18 years ago

Wow. Nice pics, great dahlia, and beautiful arrangement. Nice work. I am ordering Karmas next year. Did you grow these in a greenhouse? I'm hoping I can get results like that in the field.
    Cheryl

• pitimpinai
    18 years ago

Thanks. All my plants are in the garden.

• Laisan
    18 years ago

I posted in the dahlia forum, but would like to know where I can order Karma dahlias online?

Thanks

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting