Return to the Cutting Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please help me plan a May/June wedding garden!

Posted by tanama z7a, southern DE (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 14, 07 at 18:29

We've decided to get married in late May or early June 2009, and some of our top priorities are to keep it low-key, low-budget, and as local (with regard to food, flowers, etc.) as possible. There is a good chance that we'll plan to have the ceremony and/or reception right in our own back yard, but even if we don't, I'd love to carry a bouquet and decorate our reception with flowers from my own garden. I figure that it's not at all to start planning or even planting for some of the things I might want!

FYI, there's no color scheme I'm trying to hold to, and I'm just as fond of more "casual" flowers (if perhaps not more so) as I am of the more formal wedding favorites.

I'm a total "stick it in the ground and see what happens" gardener though, so I could use some serious planning help. Please suggest anything that you think might be in bloom at around that time (or have beautiful leaves, stems, berries, whatever) that could be cut and included in our celebration or left in place to decorate our backyard.

If it's information you alraedy know, please also guide me as to when I should plant it. For perenneals, I'd appreciat knowing how much growth I can expect from each plant/bulb/whatever that I put in at the next possible opportunity. For annuals, let me know if it's something I'll need to start inside at a certain time or if it's something I can almost always find in flats for sale (I don't have much experience at all with annuals).

Thanks for any help you can give me!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please help me plan a May/June wedding garden!

You may want to engage local garden clubs for assistance! They'll know best what grows best in your area and what flowers when! They may even assist you with a garden plan/design!

I always walk through nurseries at different times of year to see the blooms on flowers (keeping in mind that they bloom earlier, usually, at nurseries) and make notes of what I like and what I might want to plant!
Good luck!

o
RE: Please help me plan a May/June wedding garden!

Right. I live in Northern California so would not be in the best position to help you; the best people would be local nurseries and gardens. They can give you the best advice on what to plant, when to plant it, and maybe even some tips on what wouold be attractive together in a bouquet for you. Then you could have a great time buying some of those seeds and bulbs to get it all going!

Good luck on your marriage. I will say, though, that I would go for the June wedding. There is an old saying in my culture that goes "Marry in May, rue the day..."

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cutting Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here