Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardengirl77_gw

Selling all my flowers fast on a street corner

gardengirl77
13 years ago

I was wondering if any of you ever tried selling your flowers by yourself in town on a busy street instead of selling at a farmers market? I tried this as a experiment and I sold out of everything I had in one hour. I tried again a couple days later and sold out again in around an hour. It was crazy! All I did was have my flower bouquets in buckets in a vacant parking lot next to a busy stop light and had a sign with the flower price on it....and people drove in the parking lot to buy them. Have any of you done something like this?

Comments (7)

• thinman
    13 years ago

I wonder about the need for a street peddler's license in most places? I think that even in my very small town they regulate this kind of selling. Not saying it's not a good idea, though. Good for you.

ThinMan

• ruth52
    13 years ago

Curious, too..about the size of town? I imagine it is a fairly large town? I live in a midwestern town...about 25,000....and I would sure need a venders license..

• gardengirl77
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thinman,
    I am out in a small country town and there is a vending fee for selling on the street.....but there is also a fee for me to be at our very small farmers market too. I made more money in a couple of hours vending off the street than I probably would have sitting all day at our farmers market. Maybe street selling wouldn't be this good in every town...but I thought I would throw out the idea.

• thrills
    13 years ago

I've been thinking about trying this also. We have a small pedestrian mall which I thought needed a flower vendor. =)

How did you display your flowers? Did you set the buckets out on the ground or use a table?

Hope it continues to go well for you.

• gardengirl77
    Original Author
    13 years ago

For right now I just sold out of buckets....but I would like to do something else. I've read some people use carts. I would like to keep doing this. I know there are cities that don't allow street vending, but it is allowed where I live. You would have to check with your local laws. Some towns you can only sell at certain location and times...it just depends on where you are. I sold in the evening when most people were going home from work. I think a lot of the sales I made were from men wanting to take a bouquet home to there wife. I am in a very small town and the only grocery store here doesn't sell any fresh flowers....so maybe that is why I sold mine so well. This might not work as well in an area where fresh flowers are easily accessible. Like I said before I guess it would depend on if you can get a vendors license for your town. I just thought it was kind of a neat way to sell flowers along with farmers markets.

• l_james
    13 years ago

I remember back in the mid seventies a girl sold flowers in a lot off of a service road near the interstate highway at the south end of St. Louis county. She was only there on Friday afternoons and she had a good business going.

• tommyk
    13 years ago

May work . . . but you need to be very careful about licensing and town regulations!

Sponsored