Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laisan_gw

source for Karma dahlias

Laisan
18 years ago

Hi,

I have a small area for cut flowers, it's just for personal use. I'd like to get a few karma dahlias and was only able to find them at Van Bourgondien Bros. Do you have any suggestions/sources, or if you were happy with VB?

Thanks in advance

Laisan

Comments (6)

• Noni Morrison
    18 years ago

I think some of the gardeners found a source last year but they had to buy a flat. I would be interested in sharing a flat with someone and I live on Vashon Island so maybe we could do that. I am opening up a new garden area and I think I could put in a 70' row of them. So stay in touch and lets try to figure this out in the spring!

I bought a mix of 5 karmas and some of the anemone type dahlias from VB this spring. So far I have seen 2 of the 5 karmas bloom (KARMA FUCHIANA AND K SERENA). Not sure where the others ended up as I was pretty crowded for space. OF the anemone ones Pole Position has done beautifully, River Dance is faltering along, and the dark red one is OK, but the centers burn on it. Boogie Woogie has done rather poorly. Frobably 60% of my VB order grew.

Jeanne, I think you bought the karmas from VB..How did yours do?

I love the karma fuchiana of my mix!

• Fundybayfarm
    18 years ago

The company I deal with in Ontario has Karmas. It's Van Hof & Blokker. I don't know if the prices are as good as you get in the states, but it's worth a try, and I know they ship to the states. You can check them out at: www.vanhofandblokker.com. I don't think they have as many varieties as some of you mention, but they have some of the ones flowerfarmer grows.
    Cheryl

• pitimpinai
    18 years ago

I ordered 3 Sangria from VB. The tubers came in good size clumps, not in single tubers like those from specialty growers. They are prolific bloomers with long, sturdy stems. Not a one rotted. I like them and will dig them out to store for next spring.

• kfuerst27
    18 years ago

Last spring I was inspired by others on this forum to try Karma dahlias. I ordered my Karma Amanda dahlias from Ednie Flower Bulb/Wooden Shoe Bulb Farm. I paid $21.99 for 15 large clumps of tubers. The dahlias are gorgeous. Bouquets sold on sight. This was my first year growing dahlias for cutting, so my production was lower than it should've been, but it was worth it. I will try other varieties, too, next year.

Kelly

• Noni Morrison
    18 years ago

Come spring I think many of us will be looking for the best sources of karmas!

• Laisan
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Yes,

Lets touch base then, the wooden shoe bulb farm looks really good.

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH