Return to the Cutting Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
source for Karma dahlias

Posted by Laisan z8 Western WA (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 4, 05 at 1:34

Hi,

I have a small area for cut flowers, it's just for personal use. I'd like to get a few karma dahlias and was only able to find them at Van Bourgondien Bros. Do you have any suggestions/sources, or if you were happy with VB?

Thanks in advance
Laisan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: source for Karma dahlias

I think some of the gardeners found a source last year but they had to buy a flat. I would be interested in sharing a flat with someone and I live on Vashon Island so maybe we could do that. I am opening up a new garden area and I think I could put in a 70' row of them. So stay in touch and lets try to figure this out in the spring!

I bought a mix of 5 karmas and some of the anemone type dahlias from VB this spring. So far I have seen 2 of the 5 karmas bloom (KARMA FUCHIANA AND K SERENA). Not sure where the others ended up as I was pretty crowded for space. OF the anemone ones Pole Position has done beautifully, River Dance is faltering along, and the dark red one is OK, but the centers burn on it. Boogie Woogie has done rather poorly. Frobably 60% of my VB order grew.

Jeanne, I think you bought the karmas from VB..How did yours do?

I love the karma fuchiana of my mix!

o

The company I deal with in Ontario has Karmas. It's Van Hof & Blokker. I don't know if the prices are as good as you get in the states, but it's worth a try, and I know they ship to the states. You can check them out at: www.vanhofandblokker.com. I don't think they have as many varieties as some of you mention, but they have some of the ones flowerfarmer grows.
Cheryl

o

I ordered 3 Sangria from VB. The tubers came in good size clumps, not in single tubers like those from specialty growers. They are prolific bloomers with long, sturdy stems. Not a one rotted. I like them and will dig them out to store for next spring.

o

Last spring I was inspired by others on this forum to try Karma dahlias. I ordered my Karma Amanda dahlias from Ednie Flower Bulb/Wooden Shoe Bulb Farm. I paid $21.99 for 15 large clumps of tubers. The dahlias are gorgeous. Bouquets sold on sight. This was my first year growing dahlias for cutting, so my production was lower than it should've been, but it was worth it. I will try other varieties, too, next year.

Kelly

o

Come spring I think many of us will be looking for the best sources of karmas!

o

• Posted by Laisan z8 Western WA (My Page) on
    Thu, Oct 6, 05 at 21:28

Yes,

Lets touch base then, the wooden shoe bulb farm looks really good.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cutting Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here