Return to the Cutting Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ornamental peppers

Posted by rita2004 8 (ritajanders@cvtv.net) on
Thu, Oct 5, 06 at 7:50

Good morning to all, I have a quick question about peppers. I planted several varieties this year and just about now they are turning red and I saw a post awhile back somewhere on how to get the leaves off. Could someone share their knowledge with us on the board about how to defoliate these peppers. I guess I could use them with the leaves but I wanted to use them without the leaves and want to know a fast way to get the leaves off.

Thanks,

Rita

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ornamental peppers

Hi Rita,
After cutting the peppers into buckets of water, place them in a dark room for at least three days. The temperature needs to be right around 65 degrees. Our room in the little barn stays around 60 degrees this time of year if we're not running the cooler, and the peppers do fine. Anyway, after three days, shake the peppers, and the foliage should come right off.

Trish

o

Trish,

Thanks I cut them yesterday and put them in a bucket in the building but heh in Texas we don't get those kind of temps but there is a cool front coming and maybe it will cool off some. I checked them in the evening and none of them are wilted and I even put some into foam because I am planning on using them in some sunflower arrangements this weekend and they look good too.
Changing the subject, did you use the wild goldenrod in your bouquets? I am worried about people being allergic to it. If you pick it before it gets all fuzzy and not outright blooming, would that be the right stage to use it?What about milkweed? Can it too be used in arrangements?

Rita

o

Rita,

We have strange temperatures. One day it is 80; and, the next we're lucky if we see 55. So, on those days 60-65 in our barn would be warm :) And, right now it is 34 degrees outside. We had scattered frost last night. I am afraid to look at the field. We knew it was coming, and picked and picked all day yesterday for our Saturday market.

We didn't use goldenrod in our bouquets this season. I think we had a hybrid, Aster Solidago, last year with our dahlia bouquets. It seems there are so many people with allergies these days. We have a lady at market who brings "wildflower" bouquets. It hasn't been a good year for her bouquets.

And, yes, we use milkweed. You'll need to use hydrating solution for this.

Trish

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cutting Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here